Adjusting Tracking

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
ryevancho

Adjusting Tracking

Post by ryevancho »

I am trying to figure out how to adjust the tracking (letter-spacing) of a font? I basically want to take an existing font and make all of the characters much more spaced out. Is there a way to do this with FontCreator?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Adjusting Tracking

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You can do it with Autometrics, but that's a bit crude, as it will just make the side bearings equal for all glyphs.

The glyph transformer in the Professional Edition is more sophisticated as it can increase the bearings of each selected glyph by a specified amount, or you can Optical Metrics, and use a value greater than the default.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
ryevancho

Post by ryevancho »

Thank you for your reply. Is there a way to change the tracking of the "black space" character? I've got everything I want it, except the blank space seems to still be normal sized.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Select the space character in the glyph overview, press F3 to display the Glyph Properties toolbar, adjust the RSB (right side bearing) value and press 'Apply'. This will change the advance width for the selected glyph.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10