The eutofont font format

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main forums on topic! If you have anything else, related to fonts, you want to share, please post it here!
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

The eutofont font format

Post by William »

Some time ago I devised a font format which I call the eutofont font format.

There are some documents available linked from the following web page.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/eutofont.htm

I am hoping that one day it will be possible to save a font using "Save to eutofont format" directly from Font Creator Program and also to read in a font directly into Font Creator Program using "Read from eutofont format" .

The eutofont system is still experimental. In order for the eutofont font format to become successful there need to be applications written which use eutofont font format fonts and also a way of producing the fonts in a straightforward manner.

At present, a eutofont font format font can be produced using a Unicode plain text editor, such as WordPad on a Windows 98 PC, though it is a time-consuming task. However, it can be done and so, in principle, the fonts necessary to support an application program such as a wordprocessor program could be produced without a font producing program. However, a font producing program which can save to eutofont format would clearly make the production of eutofont font format fonts much easier.

So, a text displaying application program which can read in a eutofont font format font file and use the information in it to display text is needed. The display could use a graphics window and the application program would need to have the software to render the font curves as pixels within it.

Implementing the eutofont font format in a wordprocessor or some other text-handling program would have the advantage that advanced Unicode features could be used on many types of computer platform by having the font technology in the application not the platform structure.

Is this a programming project which interests any readers? Anyone who produces such a text handling-program can market it as his or her own shareware if he or she so wishes, though with no exclusivity in using the eutofont font format as I am hoping that the eutofont font format will become widely used.

I am happy to add features to the eutofont font format as needed for a successful implementation.

William Overington

9 October 2004
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: The eutofont font format

Post by William »

I have produced a typecase_ pdf which will hopefully make experimentation easier as it enables character code points to be copied and pasted from the pdf into WordPad.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/t ... e_area.pdf

Several years have passed since I devised the eutofont font format and, as far as I am aware, there has been no progress since then.

However, maybe the eutofont font format will one day be implemented and be successful.

William Overington

21 August 2008