How to configure TTF to Raster Font?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
BParkoff

How to configure TTF to Raster Font?

Post by BParkoff »

Hi,

Do FontCreator have the settings to allow me to configure the TTF to Raster font in Font Properties before I export Raster font into TTF?

I use fixed advance width in the glyph for all font characters.

I will like to install Raster font TTF into Windows 10's Terminal like Command Prompt. I prefer to use text mode while working on the text editor.

Kindly,
Bryan Parkoff
Erwin Denissen

Re: How to configure TTF to Raster Font?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

TrueType fonts are vector-based, but you can make mono-spaced fonts. It is all explained in the user manual:

Monospaced versus Proportional

A monospaced font is a font where all characters have the same width. These fonts are often used to emulate typewriter output for reports, tabular work and technical documentation, but are also common in code editors. In a proportional font the width of each character, including the space character, varies with the shape of the character. Proportional fonts are easier to read and are preferred for publishing applications.

To change a proportional spaced font into a monospaced font, follow these steps:
  • Select the AutoMetrics command (Tools menu) to force the advance width to be the same for all glyphs including .notdef and combining marks. The only exception is (format) control characters (e.g. .null, zero width non-joiner, right-to-left mark) which are allowed to be zero-width.
  • The advance width of combining marks may be collapsed through OpenType glyph positioning (e.g. using an OpenType single adjustment lookup in the mark feature).
  • If necessary, change the outlines of glyphs that are too wide.
  • In the Font Properties panel on the Instances tab set Panose Family Kind to 2 (Latin Text) and Panose Proportion to 9 (Monospaced).
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology