Exported TTF Font File Shows ALL Missing Characters?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
BParkoff

Exported TTF Font File Shows ALL Missing Characters?

Post by BParkoff »

Hi,

I created five simple glyphs: Border, Bit 1, Bit 2, Bit 3, and Bit 4. I created one composite glyph: Sample. Border, Bit 1, Bit 2, Bit 3, and Bit 4 glyphs are linked to Sample glyph.

I clicked "Install..." from Font menu. "Font Installation Wizard" dialog is displayed. I clicked "Next" button and then "Finish" button. The first letter 'E' in text sample of "Enjoy!" is replaced before I clicked "Close" button.

This is correct what I expected! To reproduce the missing characters.

I selected "Border" glyph. I pressed CTRL+Del key to clear all contours. The empty glyph of Border is always linked to Sample glyph.

I clicked "Install..." from Font menu. "Font Installation Wizard" dialog is displayed. I clicked "Next" button and then "Finish" button. The text sample of "Enjoy!" is blanked or missing.

All the missing characters exist after I exported my project into Sample.TTF.

Here is my Sample project attachment. You can see what something goes wrong.

Please note: FontCreator 14.0 is already registered to Home Edition.

Kindly,
Bryan Parkoff
Attachments
Sample.fcp
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Erwin Denissen

Re: Exported TTF Font File Shows ALL Missing Characters?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I don't understand why it fails, as technically nothing is wrong. It might be better if FontCreator removes empty components on export.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
BParkoff

Post by BParkoff »

I don't understand why it fails, as technically nothing is wrong. It might be better if FontCreator removes empty components on export.
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Do you suggest that FontCreator has bugs on empty glyph linked to composite glyph?

You mentioned the word: "empty components". Are you referring to empty glyph?

Is there a way if contours can be invisible by changing from color black to color white or use transparency as long as simple glyph is not considered to be empty glyph? On exported TTF file, some simple glyphs do not have code-points will not be shown to the screen or printer.

Kindly,
Bryan Parkoff
BParkoff

Post by BParkoff »

Hi,

I still have problems with exported font TTF file as I said earlier. I converted all composite glyphs to simple glyphs. The text sample of "Enjoy!" is blanked out. I went to Microsoft Word. I can only see blank text in Font Name while tooltips shows font name. I am able to see the characters while I am typing in this document.

Will you please assist me how to restore the blank text in Font Name?

Kindly,
Bryan Parkoff
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

BParkoff wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:36 pm Thank you for the reply. Do you suggest that FontCreator has bugs on empty glyph linked to composite glyph?
No, it is not a bug, but for some reason text processing engines fail to display such glyphs.
BParkoff wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:36 pm You mentioned the word: "empty components". Are you referring to empty glyph?
No, I mean an empty glyph that is used to make up a composite glyph.
BParkoff wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:36 pm On exported TTF file, some simple glyphs do not have code-points will not be shown to the screen or printer.
They can be made accessible by using OpenType layout features.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology