REQUEST: RTL in Preview

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Hermes14

REQUEST: RTL in Preview

Post by Hermes14 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:01 pm

Greetings!

This is my first post to the forums. Have just purchased FC Professional and am enjoying it. FEATURE REQUEST:

The Preview Tool (F8) has bidi support for entering utf-8 in the editing field: Typing an Arabic-script string in the editing field gives a bidi-correct result in the view field (with no character shaping).

But in order to test GSUB/GPOS, what's urgently needed is global RTL (right-to-left) support. For example, if I type a string of glyphs, e.g.,

/Baa.initial/Siin.medial/Miim.final

the result appears in LTR order. Of course, it needs to appear in RTL order. Then I can apply selected OpenType features on this string and test things.

Note that both VOLT and OTMaster have a global RTL mode in their viewing tools. Note that RTL is much easier to implement than bidi: mostly a matter of just inputing things in the opposite direction to LTR.

(It is ironic that right-clicking within the text-entry/edit field gives the option "Right to left Reading order" - a la MS Notepad - but there is no such option in the view field. There is also an RTL checkbox in the OT Designer for GSUB/GPOS, as is to be expected.)

In order for Preview to be useful in my work, a global RTL option is critical; as is, there is no way I can preview Arabic-script OT features in FontCreator. I hope that you will place this on the priority list!

With Respect
Hermes14

Erwin Denissen

Re: REQUEST: RTL in Preview

Post by Erwin Denissen » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:10 pm

To activate RTL do start the text with a Arabic character with a valid Unicode code point.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology

Hermes14

Re: REQUEST: RTL in Preview

Post by Hermes14 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:31 pm

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. That is a workaround and it works. See the example I gave in the original email:

/Baa.initial/Siin.medial/Miim.final

So I would have to type, e.g.

ب /Baa.initial/Siin.medial/Miim.final

The workaround works, but is a bit inelegant and constitutes at least a bug (since that rtl codepoint is superfluous). There still needs to be a checkbox or right-click option to dictate the reading order in the viewing field. I hope you will consider adding such an option in your next version.

In any case, at least I can test Preview Tool now. Thank you again, Erwin!

With respect
Hermes14