The function of reading a prepared list of pairs of characters to simplify kerning.

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Torsten Ulv

The function of reading a prepared list of pairs of characters to simplify kerning.

Post by Torsten Ulv »

There is a pre-prepared large list of character pairs (separated by spaces or commas) for kerning. The list is saved in txt.
I propose to add to the program the function of reading all pairs from the list, automatically checking against the existing characters in the font for grouping in sub-tables of classes and creating a pair. Further, a long manual adjustment. It is also optional to mark the choice to create classes or not, and to determine the characters from the font in advance to form a specific class. This function will greatly simplify the creation of kerning.
I apologize for the possible illiteracy - I am writing through a translator.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: The function of reading a prepared list of pairs of characters to simplify kerning.

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Where is this text comma-delimited text file? Which version of FontCreator are you using?

If you write in your own language, and provide a translation, it might help someone to understand better.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
outofstepfontco

Re: The function of reading a prepared list of pairs of characters to simplify kerning.

Post by outofstepfontco »

I have used the text from older fonts to accomplish this task, but two items confound the process:

1. You cannot save Class Manager classes to any preset or text file. Likewise, it doesn't seem to be written into the OTF font file.
2. If you are missing any glyphs, you get compiling errors when trying to close the OpenType editor. You have to go through your text file using *.missing glyph.* to wipe all the lines with missing glyphs before you can close the OpenType editor.
FC12.0 Professional
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

outofstepfontco wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:27 am 2. If you are missing any glyphs, you get compiling errors when trying to close the OpenType editor. You have to go through your text file using *.missing glyph.* to wipe all the lines with missing glyphs before you can close the OpenType editor.
In the code editor there is an option to ignore unknown glyphs.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology