German Program Language

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Ramiro Fonti

German Program Language

Post by Ramiro Fonti »

Where can I get the program Font Creator in german language?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

There is no German version. The software and documentation are available in English only.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Free Translation Service

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The website below will translate words and phrases from English to German, or from German to English. (Other languages are supported too). This might help you when you get stuck. You could try posting messages on the forum in German as well as broken English, in case someone is bilingual.

https://www.bing.com/translator/
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
th_mi

Post by th_mi »

erwin denissen wrote:There is no German version. The software and documentation are available in English only.
If you are interested I could translate the GUI to german if you want. I'm a german software developer. Maybe your strings and menues are located in a DLL and I could convert it to german if you are interested.

I guess it is a cool way to create software with all interesting languages (german, french, spanish, ...)

Thomas
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Thanks for the offer; unfortunately the text is not separated from the source code. Anyway, this feature request is added to the todo list.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
th_mi

Post by th_mi »

I'm just visiting your site and saw you have Version 4.2 finished.

Do you have plans to make your software multilingual? I guess it would be a really cool extension of your sofware?

I'm only curious, what development tool do you use? Delpi? Visual C++? C++ Builder?

In my company all of my software products support at least 2 languages (German/ Englisch). The most handling is really easy. All language dependent suff is as ressource availabe so it is not necessary to make changes in the code :D
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This is still on the to do list. Right now other feature requests, like improving import image, have a higher priority.

I develop the software in Delphi.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
fantong

Post by fantong »

When multilingual version of FCP is possible, I'll help Erwin to make a Korean version, two. Please let me know, when the time comes.
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

I say we stop all this nonsense and agree that Latin is the only language FCP needs to be in :D . German indeed. vivi fontem faciens instrumentum!
delll

Two years ago - but no german version

Post by delll »

Now it's two years ago and we don't get a german version of Font Creator.

I think it's better to search for an other program to create fonts :-(
th_mi

Post by th_mi »

It looks like this feature has low priority.

@Erwin Denissen
It is not difficuilt to implement the multilanguage stuff, even in Delphi.

I know Delphi, C++ Builder, BDS2006 and VC.

In my opinion there are two easy ways the first one is to redirect all ressources in a DLL and use this DLL. This is also possible in BDS2006.
Or an much cooler way would be a XML file with all strings in it. So everyone can translate it and no new code generation is necessary!

If you are interested I'd explain it more detailed!

for example Notebook BatteryInfo uses the language DLL stuff. In the next version I'll use XML for this, so it is possible for everybody to translate it!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Thanks for your suggestions.

I've asked several people what they expect of a translation, and most of them told me they would also require a full translation of the user manual and website. They also told me, a translation of the user interface and nothing more, would frustrate them. I believe I do listen to my customers and it seems the only real solution is to actually translate everything. That is still on the wish list, but I’m not sure if and when I’m going to start with this and what languages should be supported and how to handle font terminology etc. If I decide to do this, it would take a lot of time and money and with every new release all translations have to be updated as well.

I hope this gives more insight into the situation.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
th_mi

Post by th_mi »

I know a lot freeware and shareware software with customizing language sets.

I guess the first important point is the GUI is in the prefered language. If the "language pack" is easy to create (i.e. and XML or other text file) a lot users would translate it to the language they can speak and would share it with others. The same would be the user manual. But this is the second step.
If it is important to translate the complete web page, I don't think so!

But I don't want to force you to a thing you don't want.

When I started "Notebook BatteryInfo" I was surprised to get in a very early state requests and offers of customizing the GUI of the software. For this reason the next major release will be with XML as "Stingtable". So it is easy to create an own language set. Currently the language stringtable is packed in a DLL and for customizing it is necessary to have a compiler to build the DLL.
Husham
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Translate FontCreator interface

Post by Husham »

I would like to suggest, if that is possible, that FontCreator interface support, other languages, it will be useful for users not knowing English.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: FontCreator interface

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This is a very old feature request. With only one developer it is still not feasible. Providing only a translation of the UI would not be sufficient to satisfy most users.
Erwin Denissen wrote: Wed May 31, 2006 11:10 am Thanks for your suggestions.

I've asked several people what they expect of a translation, and most of them told me they would also require a full translation of the user manual and website. They also told me, a translation of the user interface and nothing more, would frustrate them. I believe I do listen to my customers and it seems the only real solution is to actually translate everything. That is still on the wish list, but I’m not sure if and when I’m going to start with this and what languages should be supported and how to handle font terminology etc. If I decide to do this, it would take a lot of time and money and with every new release all translations have to be updated as well.

I hope this gives more insight into the situation.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486