Copying glyphs

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
Fred Goldman

Copying glyphs

Post by Fred Goldman »

It would be nice to have the ability to copy glyph outlines, but still keep the bearings values of the destination glyph.
Fred
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Already possible, use paste special.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Fred Goldman

Post by Fred Goldman »

Hi Bhikkhu,

Are you sure you understood my request? Maybe I wasn't clear or maybe there is an option in paste special I don't know about...

Let's take for a example a glyph that is 50 wide. It has bearings that are 10 on each side that I don't want to keep. Now I paste it into a glyph that is 30 wide and has bearing of 15 on the left and 20 on the right which I do want to keep.

Currently this is how I do it.

1) Select glyph/Ctrl+C

2) Paste special (choosing only Outline Data because if I choose metrics the original bearings will also get pasted.)

3) Now I have to adjust the bearings so that they are 15/20 because my original glyph is 20 wider than the glyph I am pasting into the bearings get changed.

I would like to eliminate the last step by having an option to paste the outlines but still keep the destination glyph bearings.
Fred
Joop Jagers
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Joop Jagers »

I'm afraid it cannot be done automatically. I think this is due to the fact that the bearings are *calculated* values, not independent values by themselves. The left side bearing is the calculated distance between the left side bearing point (usually at x=0) and the most left point of the glyph, the right side bearing is the calculated distance between the glyph and the advance width.
Fred Goldman

Post by Fred Goldman »

Aha, I see what you mean.

It's probably not that useful to most people anyway, I just have this particular job where it would make it much easier.
Fred