Open Type Layout Feature Editor

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Open Type Layout Feature Editor

Post by Mike Thompson »

• Allow cut and paste of Output Wiindow. I don't fix bugs the moment I find them but I want to record what happened in my list of things to do (a long list).
  • Allow for scrolling the Font Overview Window when behind the Open Type Layout Feature Editor so I can find the correct spelling of the glyph name that caused the error!
Mike
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Sun May 14, 2017 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Improved formatting
Mike Thompson
Hebrew Font Design
http://hebrew-font-shuneet.com
León Fridsma

Re: Open Type Layout Feature Editor

Post by León Fridsma »

We are currently working on adding GPOS support to the OpenType Features engine and we'll probably give the editor an overhaul to make editing easier. I've added these 2 items to the wishlist so they can be taken in to consideration.
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

When doing GPOS, it is essential to be able to define anchor points in the glyph editing window and have them be visible in that window.
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Mike Thompson »

vanisaac!
Are anchors essential in OpenTYpe GPOS?
Since I have used VOLT, I had to define anchors as they are there in the user interface whether you like it or not.
However...
I have not consciously used them or been aware of benefitting from them. Say I have a mark below a glyph -
and the mark is in a group of marks - what is the disadvantage dragging of the mark and having all the other
marks in the group move with it. One could have locks on those marks that are not to be moved.
I have never used an named anchor that would move more than one group of marks. I give
all my anchors different names so they won't cause unexpected changes.
Mike
Mike Thompson
Hebrew Font Design
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Mike Thompson »

It would be good to have a log file which would contain the lines of script that were being executed.

There is a visual feature in VOLT that is intended to show how Open Type is working, for instance to show the results of substitutions as they happen but I have not found it helpful. Maybe it would be better if it displayed the actual lines of script that were processed rather than just saying what lookup was active.

Such a tool might be useful for high Logic developers debugging the product as well as typographers debugging a script!

Mike
Mike Thompson
Hebrew Font Design
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Mike Thompson wrote:Allow cut and paste of Output Wiindow.
That's already possible.
Copy Code Editor Output.png
Copy Code Editor Output.png (3.44 KiB) Viewed 6939 times
I think it has been explained elsewhere that making the Code Editor or OpenType Designer window modeless would not be practical.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486