CTRL-Select multiple Second Kern Pair Groups in OpenType Designer

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
outofstepfontco

CTRL-Select multiple Second Kern Pair Groups in OpenType Designer

Post by outofstepfontco »

Hi there
I'm kerning again today and it's miserable.

I am in OpenType Designer > Kerning > PairAdjustment > Add... > New Kerning Pair, and I can't CTRL-Select multiple Second: groups.

So I am clicking Add... > Only Show Groups, scroll down, First, scroll down, Second, Okay.

Several hundred times. This is not okay.

Ctrl+Selecting multiple 2nd glyphs groups in order to add multiple glyph pair groups would make my life so much easier.

I have only another 30 fonts to kern this way.

Thanks in advance,

FC8.0 Standard.
FC12.0 Professional
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: CTRL-Select multiple Second Kern Pair Groups in OpenType Designer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

When you have done one font, export the script, and import it into the next one.

Right-click to Autokern the new font, then all you need to do is check for silly kerning pairs like C- or -T where automatically calculated values may be way off.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
outofstepfontco

Post by outofstepfontco »

That only works if the fonts are in some way similar.

Which I haven't bothered to do!
FC12.0 Professional
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

From the point of view of this technique, fonts are ‘similar’ if they included the same glyphs as the font that was carefully kerned, and don't include a whole lot more that were not in the source font. It matters not a jot that the outlines are entirely different. FontCreator will show an error message for missing glyphs, but it will import the script without issues, ignoring any pairs that don't exist in the Target font. Autokern will then fix the Pair Adjustments to suit the new font (apart from a few pairs that need fixing).
Import Succeeded.png
Import Succeeded.png (16.59 KiB) Viewed 5907 times
Imported Script.png
Imported Script.png (7.44 KiB) Viewed 5907 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
pt_crusier_2002

Post by pt_crusier_2002 »

Ah glad to see that I am not the only one who manual kerns even though there is auto kern in Font Creator program. I too would love to reduce the millions of manual kerning pairs that I seem to have to do even after running font with auto kern. See my post on being able to kern left and right with 3 places instead of the 2 kern method now in the program, it can be done cause it has been done in the past in other CAD program, just look at the number of views to see other would love this feature added as an update.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

pt_crusier_2002 wrote:Ah glad to see that I am not the only one who manual kerns even though there is auto kern in Font Creator program. I too would love to reduce the millions of manual kerning pairs that I seem to have to do even after running font with auto kern. See my post on being able to kern left and right with 3 places instead of the 2 kern method now in the program, it can be done cause it has been done in the past in other CAD program, just look at the number of views to see other would love this feature added as an update.
Yes, I saw your post that you added not long ago.

Manually kerning thousands or tens of thousands of pairs is a waste of time — that's probably why no one does it unless they don't know how to use autokern and kerning classes. After running Autokern on my fonts, I manually check half a dozen pairs that I know are likely to be wrong, like C hyphen. If I am being very picky, I manually skim through several hundred pairs of kerning classes. I might do this for the first (Regular) style of a font, but I then import the *.otlfd script into the other styles, and just run Autokern again to update the pairs for the new style, then manually check just the known troublesome pairs.