Relocation of origin

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Relocation of origin

Post by PJMiller »

In many CAD systems there is a facility to drag and re-locate the origin i.e. the 0,0 co-ordinate.

This is usually temporary and does not affect the co-ordinates of any of the displayed points, it just adds an offset to them before putting them on the screen.

This facility would be useful when designing symetrical glyphs or glyphs where you want to know where things are relative to a point somewhere within the glyph.

For instance I put a the 'White Rose of Yorkshire' into Kelvinch, this is a very complicated glyph and started out as a pentagon. But I was constantly measuring things from each of the five corners and doing lots of sums on a calculator. I got around the problem by writing down the numbers and rotating the glyph by 72° about it's centre.

It would have been useful to locate the origin at each of the corners in turn and in the centre during this process.

Usually relocation of the origin is achieved by dragging the origin, i.e. dragging from the intersection of the horizontal and vertical rulers to the point where you want 0,0 to be. But also on some systems you can just type in the offsets. On some systems you can do either.

I don't know how easy this would be to implement or if it is possible but it is something to consider.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Relocation of origin

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't suppose it would be difficult to do. It might be something that just affected the rulers in the Glyph Edit Window without actually modifying the glyph.

However, since the work around is so easy to do, it doesn't seem very necessary.
  1. Show the Transform Toolbar
  2. Make a note of the current position
  3. Move the centre of the glyph to 0,0
  4. Finish designing it
  5. Move it back to where it was
Position Transform.png
Position Transform.png (11.38 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486