Embedded bitmaps

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
vanisaac

Embedded bitmaps

Post by vanisaac »

I'd like to see FCP support embedded bitmaps. Just have it automatically create a bitmap font from the rasterizer and let the user alter the glyphs. I think this would be easier than getting full hinting support.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'll add it to the to-do list, however be aware you will have to create a bitmap per glyph per font size. So when you want to add bitmap support to a font with 200 glyphs for sizes from 8 to 13 (inclusive), you need to maintain 1200 bitmaps.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Admittedly, that is quite a prospect, which is why the rasterizer should create the bitmaps which the user can alter. It's not the best option when you have 1200 glyphs, but I think it is a good option when you have 190 or 80. I could go through 150 glyphs and do common screen resolutions in an evening.
Karig

Ability to embed bitmaps

Post by Karig »

I'd like to vote for this one too.

I just made my first font last night. It looks great at sizes 24 and up. If you try to use it at size 10 or 12, though, then it looks a little crappy on the screen, even with "grayscale rendering."

I know that creating a bitmap for hundreds of characters for EACH point size would be a pain, but some of us are willing to put up with it if we know that we can get great results on the screen. (I also suspect that creating the bitmaps would probably be less of a pain than writing the hinting program needed to generate the same results, even if High-Logic were planning to go all out and support hinting.)

(My own motivation? I'd like to use this font on Web pages. If you want fancy text on a Web page, it's better to use a fancy font instead of a graphic of fancy text, because (1) CSS lets you specify an alternate font if the font you want isn't available, and (2) people who are web-surfing with something that can't show your fancy font, such as a PDA, can still read your text.)