Identifying the script version

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Identifying the script version

Post by Mike Thompson »

All my fonts use the same script (well with some exceptions) so having just finished a round of updates I ask do they have the right version of the script? This is quite laborious to determine.

My own crude method is to put in deliberate mistakes that can be seen when the font is used by a word processor.

I thought of having an empty GPOS lookup such as 'pos-20140329-b' .
Better would be some metadata in the script itself.

A comment field would help.

Such identification should ideally be visible from the outside without opening the Designer Window or even without running Font Creator.

Mike
Mike Thompson
Hebrew Font Design
http://hebrew-font-shuneet.com
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Identifying the script version

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I found that I could add a comment in Notepad:

# Comment added in Notepad and edited in the Code Editor.

It imports OK, and does not interfere with validation. However, if you export the script, the comments are stripped. So copy/paste to Notepad and save it from there if you need to modify a script while using the Code Editor.

I associated *.otlfd files with Notepad2 for easier editing.

I use the Windows filename to identify different script versions. I save all of my scripts in the same folder as my font projects and archive the entire folder with 7-Zip for backup purposes. After importing Garava Regular.otlfd into Garava Italic, running the Autokern wizard, and fixing any issues, I export it as Garava Italic.otlfd.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486