Scaling wizard

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
nabsltd

Scaling wizard

Post by nabsltd »

1. Choose a glyph.
2. Choose another glyph (from the same or a different font).
3. Generate a glyph transformer script that will scale the second glyph to have the same bounding box and advance width as the first glyph.

Where I use this is sort of thing right now for the same fonts that are from different foundries that have fairly different scale to their designs. It allows me to better compare the actual look of the fonts at the same real final size on screen/paper. It also allows me to merge fonts from two foundries into the same family, where they have non-duplicated weights/variations/etc.

Alternately, for just the first part, a preview where instead of setting a point size (which draws the font by scaling the outlines based on the points per em value), let the user set a cap-height value. This would change the preview scaling so that the top of the upper case of every font would land at the same place (assuming the cap height value in the font is accurate). This preview feature could also be implemented in MainType.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Scaling wizard

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I am not even sure what you're asking here, but I often need to adjust the size of symbols and geometric shapes, which I copy from one font to another that has a different CapsHeight.

All I do is use Windows calculator to work out the ratio of the CapHeights, and apply a Glyph Transform to the copied glyphs to scale them for the target font.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486