Some thoughts on Projects

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Some thoughts on Projects

Post by PJMiller »

In most software the term 'project' means a related group of files and the settings associated with that group.

In Font Creator a project is a single font.

It would be nice if there was a mechanism for relating a group of files and saving the files and the layout and any other settings which may prove useful as a 'project' (in the same sense that it is used in other software).

For example I am currently working on 'Tobias' a group of four fonts arranged in the order I want them, this is my 'Tobias project', but if I wanted to go back to my previous project 'Munson project' if this mechanism existed I could just load up the previous project and the same files as I was working on in 'Munson' would be opened and laid out in the same order as when I last saved that 'project'. But then at a later time I could just switch back to the 'Tobias project' without haveing to close all the individual files and open the other files and then get them arranged in the way that I want.

There is a PCB design software package called 'Altium Designer' which I use at work which groups files in this way, of course you can save and load individual files but you can also save the current group of open files as a 'project' and this saves all the layouts and settings as well so it makes it quick and convenient to switch between projects. 'Solidworks' also works in this way.

It would be nice if a similar mecanism existed in Font Creator.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Some thoughts on Projects

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Something like a session file should be enough.

It might already be possible with a batch file, but I could not figure out how to open four project files from the command line.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MikeW

Re: Some thoughts on Projects

Post by MikeW »

In the linked thread, Erwin explained he cannot do it with the current tools. The link goes to my thoughts in that thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7305&p=34384&hilit=projects#p34384

It would be nice to at least open all related files in one go if desired.