What feature do you want to see in the next release?

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.

What feature should be added to version 5.1?

More OpenType support
28%
Automatic hinting
15%
Manual hinting
15%
Import and export of type 1 (PostScript) fonts
15%
Support for open contours
2%
More control about the way glyphs are sorted in the Glyph Overview window
15%
Embedded bitmaps
11%

Total votes: 47

Erwin Denissen

Re: What feature do you want to see in the next release?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Unicode 5.2.0 has just been released (Oct 1, 2009).

FontCreator 6.0 comes with Unicode version 5.1.0. The next release of FontCreator will of course include the latest Unicode version. If you don't want to wait, just update both UnicodeData.txt and Blocks.txt located in the Unicode folder of FontCreator. By default the location is:
C:\Program Files\High-Logic FontCreator\Unicode

You can download the latest release from here:
http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.txt
http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/Blocks.txt

You need to restart FontCreator in order to use the updated files.

Do let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Keith Harris

Post by Keith Harris »

I may be way off the mark here ,but, here it comes : GPOS. I'm thinking one could create a font with all chars on the base line and use GPOS to position them as desired. For example, with the numbers 0..9 in sub/superscript size, just one glyph qould be needed for subscript, superscript, underscript, and overscript. Although PUA usage for the code points would go up, the file size would drop (or so i think). Does this make sense?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It makes sense if OpenType feature support is enabled, but you can already do this with composites so GPOS is not essential.

Add one set of superscript glyphs in the usual Unicode code-points, and use composites for subscripts, or for other glyphs in a different position.

The subscript transform script uses the superscript glyphs to create subscripts. If you already have superscripts, insert glyphs mapped to the subscript code-points, and use complete composites. If you want baseline subscripts, just move them up.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:It makes sense if OpenType feature support is enabled, but you can already do this with composites so GPOS is not essential.

Add one set of superscript glyphs in the usual Unicode code-points, and use composites for subscripts, or for other glyphs in a different position.

The subscript transform script uses the superscript glyphs to create subscripts. If you already have superscripts, insert glyphs mapped to the subscript code-points, and use complete composites. If you want baseline subscripts, just move them up.
GPOS is not used only for positioning diacritics. GPOS is absolutely necessary for many writing systems, including proper rendering of most Arabic styles, especially the Nastaliq style that is the default style of Urdu text.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Keith was not asking about Arabic, he was suggesting using GPOS for superscript/subscript positioning. For that, GPOS is not essential.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Keith was not asking about Arabic, he was suggesting using GPOS for superscript/subscript positioning. For that, GPOS is not essential.
It probably would have helped if I had actually read Keith's post instead of just yours. :oops: