Select/highlight all contours with the same direction

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
nabsltd

Select/highlight all contours with the same direction

Post by nabsltd »

There are a lot of broken fonts out there, and FontCreator's validation wizard and real-time validation are great for this. But, I have run into some fonts with many contours that are the wrong direction...one font had 10-20 on every glyph (it was a "ragged" font).

The problem was that fixing the contour directions using the validation panel's tool ended up with some wrong for what the glyph was supposed to look like. This was obviously caused by the complexity of the glyph (especially overlapping points), and FontCreator couldn't figure out exactly what the designer really wanted filled in. FontCreator is generally smart enough about figuring this out, so I don't need any more work on that part.

But, what would have helped is if I could have seen/selected every contour that was in a particular direction. This would have allowed me to better see what the designer was thinking.

I think even an optional different-colored outline for "forward" and "reverse" contours would be enough for most people (including me).
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Select/highlight all contours with the same direction

Post by PJMiller »

nabsltd wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:18 pm I think even an optional different-colored outline for "forward" and "reverse" contours would be enough for most people (including me).
I would ocasionally find this useful.