Add paste feature to Glyph Transformer

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
BabelStone

Add paste feature to Glyph Transformer

Post by BabelStone »

Quite often I want to paste the same contour into multiple glyphs, and when (like this morning) I need to paste the same contour into several thousand glyphs it is not practical to do it manually. Is there already a way to do this? If not, please could you add a feature to the Glyph Transformer wizard to paste glyph contours from the clipboard into the glyph. It seem like this should be quite an easy feature to implement, but would save me a lot of time and effort.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Add paste feature to Glyph Transformer

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Right now it is not possible, but you can add glyphs with formulas, even within the glyph transformer:

agrave=a+gravecomb
adotbelow=a+dotbelowcomb

Would that be of use?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:26 am Right now it is not possible, but you can add glyphs with formulas, even within the glyph transformer:

agrave=a+gravecomb
adotbelow=a+dotbelowcomb

Would that be of use?
I have a font which is called 'Spare Parts' which is a collection of useful bits and experiments. It started out being just a perfect circle which Erwin posted a while ago.

For what I think the original poster wanted the formula idea would be more useful if you could do something like :-

<current glyph> = <current glyph> + gravecomb

Which would add 'gravecomb' to all the selected glyphs. In this way a spare part could be cut and pasted into the font your'e working on then added to many glyphs.
Last edited by PJMiller on Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
BabelStone

Post by BabelStone »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:26 am Right now it is not possible, but you can add glyphs with formulas, even within the glyph transformer:

agrave=a+gravecomb
adotbelow=a+dotbelowcomb

Would that be of use?
I could not get that to work in the glyph transformer. Can you give more detailed instructions?
PJMiller wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:21 am For what I think the original poster wanted the formula idea would be more useful if you could do something like :-

<current glyph> = <current glyph> + gravecomb

Whish would add 'gravecomb' to all the selected glyphs. In this way a spare part could be cut and pasted into the font your'e working on then added to many glyphs.
Yes, that is exactly what I want. At present I'm exporting my font to ttx where I can globally paste in the contours as text, and then export back to ttf, which is not ideal. But with over 6,000 glyphs to transform it would take to much time to do it manually inside FontCreator. Perhaps I could hack CompositeData.xml to do what I want, but that is not something I really want to do.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Actually the formula is meant to make composite glyphs, so it seems that is not what you are looking for.

We could add a transform feature that adds all contours from one glyph to all selected glyphs. This obviously will only work for simple glyphs.

We might come up with better solutions if you provide some illustrations or screenshots.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
BabelStone

Post by BabelStone »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:02 pm We could add a transform feature that adds all contours from one glyph to all selected glyphs. This obviously will only work for simple glyphs.
That would be the perfect solution for me.