Import raster image window

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Husham
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Import raster image window

Post by Husham »

Hello,
As you know after importing shape designs to FontCreator then we suggest right and left side bearing by using Glyph properties window or by using Glyph transform, this is a good two options to do that, also, in my opinion access to bearing options through import raster image window will add a value and will simplify this subject. what do you say???
Thank you
Uploaded smaller image to speed up page loading
Uploaded smaller image to speed up page loading
Bearing option.png (69.25 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
Erwin Denissen

Re: Import raster image window

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Let's wait and see if more people would like to see this enhancement in a future release.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The left side-bearing can already be set by changing x position.

The side-bearings are only likely to be the same for a few types of glyphs. In the case of Latin glyphs, Optical metrics calculates the values automatically.

I see the feature as saving one extra step in only a few special cases, perhaps for symbols, but even symbol fonts tend to have a uniform advance width rather than uniform side-bearings.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Husham
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Husham »

I think its presence is not harmful.. there is an empty area in raster image window ... Let's think that it will be useful in general ... perhaps in other languages.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I see no harm in it, but no benefit either. Even Chinese, which may be monospaced, will need different left and right side-bearings. Setting a fixed advance width would not avoid another step to set side-bearings either.

What was your use case that made you think that you needed this?

I can see it being useful only for some symbols, e.g. enclosed alphanumerics, etc.

On the other hand, I don't suppose it would take a lot of work.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Husham
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Husham »

Hello Bhikkhu,
what you had said is true, but I have face this in case of my fonts, anyway whatever is the case, since the the raster image window have a (Glyph) window I think any related properties will be useful.
As for me when I import any design I would prefer to be with the right position and with required bearing that I will be identify from first importing step.