Drag drop enhancement and OTD tree status

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Bernie Cossentino

Drag drop enhancement and OTD tree status

Post by Bernie Cossentino »

Hello,

The drag and drop feature is a wonderful addition and I find myself using it very often, so thank you very much!

I do feel, however, that there's room for improvement. It would seem the destination indicator could be more functional if it were to highlight its target in between lookups and not over an existing lookup. I say this because, currently, dragging a lookup to a new location hits the target correctly only about 80 percent of the time with the present routine (sometimes it places it over the target, sometimes under.)

Below is an example of how another application visually assures where the target will be. Just something to consider...

improve drag drop target indicator.gif
improve drag drop target indicator.gif (133.96 KiB) Viewed 3857 times

And now a couple of issues regarding the OTD tree that could use some attention:

1- If I've got the OTD tree setup so that only the feature I'm working on is open, editing something in the class manager and then closing that dialog will undo the OTD tree entirely (opening it up fully). This is very frustrating...I'd much prefer to have the tree remain as I had it set. Please consider changing this behavior.

class dialog edit undoes OTD tree setting.gif
class dialog edit undoes OTD tree setting.gif (1011.91 KiB) Viewed 3857 times

2- When repositioning a lookup using the up/down arrows, it scrolls out of view if you're moving it beyond the window. It would be helpful to scroll the tree at some point and have the lookup remain in view at all times.

keep lookups in view when respositioned  with up-down arrows.gif
keep lookups in view when respositioned with up-down arrows.gif (118.88 KiB) Viewed 3857 times

I appreciate your thoughts.
Font Creator 13
Windows 7 and 10 Pro
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Drag drop enhancement and OTD tree status

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Drag and drop seems to work like this:

Drag down and drop onto another lookup, places it after that lookup
Drag up and drop onto another lookup, places it before that lookup

If you collapsed the script tree and edit the lookup in the lookups tree, the script tree will still auto-expand on closing the class editor dialogue, but you won't lose your place in the lookup tree. Just click once to collapse the script tree again and resume editing the lookup.
IIRC when I brought up the auto-expanding behaviour before, Erwin said it was not something he could change easily. The same issue with moving items up/down with the arrows in various dialogs.
Edit Lookup.png
Edit Lookup.png (5.36 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bernie Cossentino

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:41 pm Drag and drop seems to work like this:

Drag down and drop onto another lookup, places it after that lookup
Drag up and drop onto another lookup, places it before that lookup
Like I said, this approach works about 80% of the time. It's easy to hover just a little above or below target, and somehow, it doesn't land where you expect. i.e. People will be a little confused as to where it will land.

If you collapsed the script tree and edit the lookup in the lookups tree, the script tree will still auto-expand on closing the class editor dialogue, but you won't lose your place in the lookup tree. Just click once to collapse the script tree again and resume editing the lookup.
Sorry, that doesn't work here. Besides, I'd be working with my lookup from within its feature, not necessarily from the lookup tree.

IIRC when I brought up the auto-expanding behaviour before, Erwin said it was not something he could change easily. The same issue with moving items up/down with the arrows in various dialogs.
Edit Lookup.png
Well, I thought I'd bring it up, hoping there's a chance this can be revisited somehow.
Font Creator 13
Windows 7 and 10 Pro
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Bmeister wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:16 pm Hello,

The drag and drop feature is a wonderful addition and I find myself using it very often, so thank you very much!

I do feel, however, that there's room for improvement. It would seem the destination indicator could be more functional if it were to highlight its target in between lookups and not over an existing lookup. I say this because, currently, dragging a lookup to a new location hits the target correctly only about 80 percent of the time with the present routine (sometimes it places it over the target, sometimes under.)

Below is an example of how another application visually assures where the target will be. Just something to consider...
We will have this covered with a next upcoming release.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Bmeister wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:16 pm 2- When repositioning a lookup using the up/down arrows, it scrolls out of view if you're moving it beyond the window. It would be helpful to scroll the tree at some point and have the lookup remain in view at all times.

keep lookups in view when respositioned with up-down arrows.gif

I appreciate your thoughts.
Unfortunately this is too complex.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bernie Cossentino

Thank you Erwin.
Font Creator 13
Windows 7 and 10 Pro