Complete Composite Improvements

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Complete Composite Improvements

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I still use CompositeData.xml to generate symbols, even though later versions of FontCreator support Anchored-based positioning, which generally works better for Latin Extended characters with accents, such as ā ä å etc.

See the tutorial thread on Complete Composites for some examples of how CompositeData.xml can be used to reduce the workload and ensure consistency in designing all kinds of symbols.

In the definitions I try to use only composite glyph members that are fairly likely to be found in a font, and I provide some fallback glyphs to be used in case the first choice is not found.

However, if no suitable glyphs are found, Complete Composites does nothing. It would be better to show the user an error message, such as the glyph "periodcentered" was not found. Please add this required composite glyph member to your font, then try again.

Does anyone else make use of this feature? What improvements would you like to see? I imagine that this might be a powerful aid to creating non-Latin fonts, but we never received any requests for these kind of additions.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Husham
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Complete Composite Improvements

Post by Husham »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:47 am I imagine that this might be a powerful aid to creating non-Latin fonts.
Hi, sure complete composite is a powerful in my Arabic fonts, especially the idea of roots (components), I have make a research paper about, try to participate in some related conference... after this maybe, in the future will talk about the Scopes for improvement complete composite.
Husham
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Complete Composite Improvements

Post by Husham »

Hi,
I think it is better to let formula window always active, because users need to move from glyph to glyph to check or change formula, you should close it then move to next glyph then open formula window..... it is better to be active like glyph properties window... thank you
composite formula.png
composite formula.png (410.08 KiB) Viewed 2830 times