Where is Auto Complete Code Points?

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
RickDe

Where is Auto Complete Code Points?

Post by RickDe »

There is a Remove Code points, but I cannot find anything that will complete the code points by glyph name other than clicking on every single glyph individually?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Where is Auto Complete Code Points?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The option does not exist, but there is a workaround.

If you right-click on a character set in the overview side panel, you can complete the character set, which will add blank characters with the correct code-points. You can copy these glyphs and use paste special to override existing code-points to add code-points to your unmapped glyphs then delete the empty glyphs that are now unmapped.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

It would be nice if there was an option in the Glyph Transformer to 'insert codepoint from glyphname' and 'insert glyphname from codepoint', just a thought.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If one uses Insert Character, glyphnames and code-points are automatically inserted. If glyphs with names, but without code-points already exist, empty glyphs with duplicate glyphnames and the correct code-points will be inserted. All that remains is to copy them to the glyphs with contours but without mappings. The hard part is ensuring that everything is in the right order before copying. Sorting the font by Unicode code-points is probably the way to go before inserting the new characters.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
RickDe

Post by RickDe »

Bhikkhu, in some of my fonts there are over 150 characters with unmapped code points. I saw the trick on cutting and pasting but there is a flaw in it. If there is a single character that does not have a valid glyph name it causes it to fail at that character. So if you copy 150 characters and paste in all 150 names, it will stop at 75 if 75 is not a valid name.

As a programmer myself, it seems rather trivial to have a method that would call your auto code points routine for each selected character.

Workflow would be:
- Select Unmapped characters using the drop down under glyphs.
- Right click "Auto-Complete Codepoints by glyph name"

Thanks for hearing me out.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

RickDe wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:37 pmI saw the trick on cutting and pasting but there is a flaw in it. If there is a single character that does not have a valid glyph name it causes it to fail at that character. So if you copy 150 characters and paste in all 150 names, it will stop at 75 if 75 is not a valid name.
If some of your glyphs have invalid names it is probably a good idea to let FontCreator generate valid glyph names for you: Tools menu, Glyph Names, Generate.
RickDe

Post by RickDe »

I see my major issues are due to double mapped characters. Things like macron being mapped to the codepoints for macron and macronmod. This causes issues with copy paste.
RickDe

Post by RickDe »

Also if you use the copy paste, you have to delete the existing characters. This removes the Kerning for those characters in the kerning table.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

RickDe wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:13 pm Also if you use the copy paste, you have to delete the existing characters. This removes the Kerning for those characters in the kerning table.
If you use paste special you can paste just the code-points.