New Drawing tools suggest

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Husham
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

New Drawing tools suggest

Post by Husham »

Hi,
As we knows a lot of Designers use different vector softwares to create font shape designs like: Corel Draw, Illustrator, in design... etc.
I suggest to Fontcreator to be powered with a new drawing tools, so the designers make all works from inside Fontcreator.
I know this thing maybe difficult, but the The future dictates this.
Erwin Denissen

Re: New Drawing tools suggest

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Can you be more specific about what tools you think would be useful?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

What you can do already is add the shapes that you need to your Sample font, then drag the shapes to the glyph edit window for combining with existing glyph contours. For example, you might design a serif ending, and reuse it in many glyphs.

See The Sample Toolbar
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Husham
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Husham »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:31 pm Can you be more specific about what tools you think would be useful?
Hi Erwin,
I know that you are so busy with to do list, I think if you develop this tool next version , ... [converting corner to curve], it will be useful especially with variable fonts in case designer want to make font weights convert from corner to curve ,. (This tool quoted from Corel).
Shape tool.png
Shape tool.png (242 KiB) Viewed 5815 times
Last edited by Husham on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Husham
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Husham »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:59 pm What you can do already is add the shapes that you need to your Sample font, then drag the shapes to the glyph edit window for combining with existing glyph contours. For example, you might design a serif ending, and reuse it in many glyphs.

See The Sample Toolbar
Hi Bhikkhu

yes that is a good way to create shapes, but always there must be more options, I am looking for other ways to do the same.

Thanks
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Chamfer and bevel tools are available on most CAD systems and might be useful. In fact Erwin might care to cast an eye over the drawing tools available in LibreCAD, it might spark some new ideas.
Husham
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Husham »

Thanks PJMiller for your post, Good information
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Having done a couple of experiments chamfering, beveling and filleting are quite easy to do manually. I believed this was the case but I hadn't really given it that much thought before.

For instance if you wanted to fillet the junction between two lines you would place am on-curve point some distance from the junction on each of the two lines then make the point at the junction into an off-curve point, the curve can be adjusted by moving the on curve points along the line. This is very easy if the lines are vertical or horizontal but less so if the lines are diagonal.

Extra tools are always tempting to add to any program but the utility of the tool must be weighed against the increase in complexity of the user interface.

It would be nice if Shift-Drag (or some other modifier) of a point would constrain the movement of that point to orthogonal dimensions but the arrow keys work just as well. One innovation which would be good is if there were some way of temporarily constraining the movement when dragging a point so that it could only be dragged along the length of the line even if that line was diagonal. At the moment you have to drag to an approximate position and then fine tune the position either aesthetically or to get the point to turn circular.