Projects

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Projects

Post by PJMiller »

I am currently working on a family of four fonts and when I open Font Creator it automatically opens the set of fonts for me, this is very good.

But now I am also having to do some remedial work on another family of fonts I produced a few years ago.

Switching between the two projects I have to close everything I had open and open the other set.

It would be nice if I could define a set of fonts as a 'Project' which would all be opened together, then I would be able to switch between working on one set and working on another different set more easily.

P.S. When I talk of a 'Project' here I am thinking of a set of fonts which need to be opened together. The Font Creator documentation talks of a font project as a single font file. Perhaps I need to think of a different name.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Projects

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This is something that can be accomplished with variable fonts. We are currently taking steps to implement that.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Projects

Post by PJMiller »

I had imagined something like the projects in KiCAD. KiCAD is an electronics CAD system where you can design Schematics (circuit diagrams) and PCBs (printed circuit boards) so you can have various types of file. A Project consists of all the files related to a specific thing (I was trying to think of a synonym for Project but failed).

The options available for projects are Create (New Project), Save, Load and Close. Any file created whilst a project is open are included in the open project and if you try to Close a project and a file has been changed it stops to ask if you want to save the file.

This is very convenient as it allows you to swap between different projects without having to close and open a lot of different files.

Of course the term 'Project' is already used in the Font Creator documentation for a single font file so either the documentation would need to be changed or another term for a related set of files would need to be adopted.