VERTICAL (top & bottom) side bearings in Tools (e.g. Transform Wizard)

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
jonlammh

VERTICAL (top & bottom) side bearings in Tools (e.g. Transform Wizard)

Post by jonlammh »

Apart from using
Tools > AutoMetrics... > FIxed Height to set the Vertical Origin and Advance Height, or
Tools > Metrics Options... > ✓Top side bearing & ✓Bottom side bearing > (move guidelines) to move the vertical glyph bearings physically,
FontCreator would be perfect if this can be done with reference to the 𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒊𝒓𝒆𝒅 𝑽𝒆𝒓𝒕𝒊𝒄𝒂𝒍 𝑩𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 of individual glyphs, e.g.:
(1) Tools > AutoMetrics... > [ADD] FIxed Vertical Bearings Space above:___ Space below:___ ; and
(2) Tools > Glyph Transformer... > Metrics > Bearings > [ADD] Top Side Bearing:___ Bottom Side Bearing:___ ; and
(3) Glyph Properties > [ENABLE CHANGE] Top side bearing:___ Bottom side bearing:___ ; etc.
This being a small feature but I believe will become particularly useful for designers working on Traditional Mongolian fonts (and punctuations and symbols) if not CJKV fonts.
Erwin Denissen

Re: VERTICAL (top & bottom) side bearings in Tools (e.g. Transform Wizard)

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Yes, you are right. Such enhancements seem to be very useful, so we have added your request to our to-do list. However, right now we have other priorities, so this has to wait for a while.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
jonlammh

Post by jonlammh »

Thank you so much. I didn’t expect a response so prompt. I will be waiting for the next update. I think I will have to get by with the present tools then.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

jonlammh wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:56 am Thank you so much. I didn’t expect a response so prompt. I will be waiting for the next update. I think I will have to get by with the present tools then.
We will only consider this enhancement after we have released FontCreator 14. That said, if during the beta period more people want enhancements related to these side bearings, we might decide to add it sooner.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
jonlammh

Post by jonlammh »

Sure, sure. I think I’m okay with that. I have saved much time with the Add Shape & Exclude Contours features; and the all-rounded, user-friendly OpenType Designer and Class Manager are gonna do me good with my next steps. Setting vertical glyph metrics individually is a brainless task so I think I can manage with it using the present tools. But thanks, good to know!
jonlammh

Post by jonlammh »

Just a quick update:
Top & Bottom bearings of multiple glyphs can be set in one go in this way:
1) Set the Top & Bottom bearings to your desired values for ONE glyph first (Tools > Metrics Options... > ✓Top side bearing & ✓Bottom side bearing > move guidelines manually in the Glyph Edit window);
2) Copy that glyph in the Font window, select those glyphs you want the bearing values to apply to;
3) Edit > Paste Special... [Ctrl+Alt+V] > ✓Metrics ◉Side bearings > OK
4) WITHOUT clearing selection, undo [Ctrl+Z] to set back to the original Left & Right bearings. This will NOT undo setting the Top & Bottom bearings.
5) DONE 8)
Now I hope this great hack won’t go away in the next update. :lol:
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

What can I say. It is a bug and I am happy to know you like it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This feature is now fully supported in FontCreator 14. Just select the glyphs in the font overview panel, and then make adjustments to the side-bearings through the glyph properties panel.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology