Garava - My First Proper Font

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Thanks for the feedback Mike. Criticial appraisal is more useful than universal praise.

I checked the numbers for Garava Regular, but I couldn't see anything wrong. The 3,5,6, and 8 all undershoot by -25 — the same as the capital C The top of the 1 and 4 align with the top of 7 and flat top of 5, which are at the Caps top of 1434 funits. Only thing wrong that I could spot is the buttom bowls of the 3 and 5 are a bit too thin — only 34 funits instead of 50 for the "C"
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Aesthetics of your numbers

Post by Mike Thompson »

Bhikkhu!

I'm not sure you should need 'to check', it is the quick glance
that reveals aesthetics. What I saw may be an illusion but I
did see it. The numbers don't SEEM to have some of the interesting
features I see in the characters.

I get this impression by looking at the whole sample at once
rather than by studying each character.

I do like the font a lot!

Mike
Mike Thompson
Hebrew Font Design
http://hebrew-font-shuneet.com
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

I've been looking at Garava again. In the days of metal type, the inking process was of the utmost importance and had to be very carefully monitored. If there was too liberal an application, sharp corners, say where a curved stroke met a straight stroke at an acute angle, the angle became clogged with ink. I've seen poorly printed text exhibiting this fault. It is my opinion, and only an opinion, that the 'b' 'd' 'p' and 'q' look as if this has happened, however impossible this is nowadays. This doesn't detract from a great effort.

Joe.