Talapanna • Derived from Goudy Bertham

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Talapanna • Derived from Goudy Bertham

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Download a 7-Zip Archive.

Bold and Regular type styles: Smaller Web versions included in archive (No Petite Caps, only a few symbols).
Typeface Sample

Version 3.30 replaces the Initial Forms with Stylistic Alternates, and the former Stylistic Alternates with Character Variants.

Using a Public Domain version of Goudy Bertham, I added a full set of glyphs, and some Gothic drop capitals. Then I thought, why not add a few fancy ligatures?"

Due to the decorative drop capitals, the default line-spacing for this font is 152%. I recommend using proportional line-spacing or fixed line-spacing to reduce it.

This is how the font looks with the Coloured Stylistic Alternates. The font has regular capitals in the usual place. The bold style uses different glyphs for these.
Colour Glyphs Previewed in Firefox 43
Colour Glyphs Previewed in Firefox 43
Talapanna Preview.png (63.73 KiB) Viewed 11956 times
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Fri May 25, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

As well as the common ff, fl, fi ligatures, I added a few more. They are very easy to make with the knife tool and "Get Union of Contours," which is available in the Professional Edition of FontCreator.
Ligatures.png
Ligatures.png (25.27 KiB) Viewed 20295 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Re: Talapanna - Derived from Goudy Bertham

Post by Dave Crosby »

A beautiful font! Thank you for sharing.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 1.1 corrects some bugs. It seems that Page Plus doesn't like the extended latin characters in the name "Tālapanna" and so refuses to embed the font in PDF files. I also corrected ƒ and the integral sign.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I added OpenType features to both Talapanna, and a few more ligatures to complete the set. I remapped the Gothic capitals to a different position in the PUA for greater consistency.

The Gothic Drop Capitals can be accessed in programs that support OpenType features by using the "Initial Capitals" feature. The Bold typestyle uses a different set of Drop Capital designs.

The ligatures are now divided into two groups — ffi, ffl, fft, ffy, fty, ff, fi, fj, fl, fr, ft, fy, ky, tr, tt, ty, and longst are Standard Ligatures — cky, ck, ct, sp, st, tz, Qu, Th, AV, HE, LA, ME, NK, NT, OC, OG, OO, TL, TYcaps, TW, TTcaps, UB, and UD are discretionary ligatures.

The fonts include glyph substitions for superscripts and scientific inferiors (which bisect the baseline).

See this tutorial on Adding OpenType Features to learn how to do this.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Updated to version 2.2 to fix a mapping problem and a problem with OpenType tags.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 2.5 adds a few more standard ligatures for fb ffb fh ffh fk and ffk (see the Typophile forums for a list of words that use these.

Features for Fractions and Alternate Annotation Forms were improved. Meaningful postscript names were added for glyphs used by OpenType features, e.g. oneighth.afrc or zero.onum.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 2.90 adds standard ligatures for fff and fffl, and discretionary ligatures for sf, sfi, sfy, sh, and sk, and some Ornaments for typing chess symbols.

Subscripts were added for a-z to improve the fractions feature to include x/y or ab/31 etc.

Version 3.10 completes the Number Forms, Currency, Latin Extended Additional, and Dingbat character sets for Unicode 8.0.

Some more kerning pairs and an ffj ligature were added, and some bugs were fixed.

Version 3.20 replaces the regular Initial Capitals with four colour Initial Forms
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.30 replaces the Initial Forms with Stylistic Alternates, and the former Stylistic Alternates with Character Variants.

A few more kerning pairs were added.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.40 fixed bugs with kerning classes and Alternative Fractions, and added more kerning pairs.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.60 reduced coloured glyphs for Regular to two colours and added two-coloured glyphs for the bold typestyle.

Localized Forms were added for Romanian, fij and ij acute ligatures were added for Dutch. Kerning classes were improved, and more kerning pairs were added.