free funky font

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
Dale Dickins

free funky font

Post by Dale Dickins »

Hi, I created a font with Font Creator which is probably a designers nightmare, however I love it and am on a mission to get it on 1000 computers by end Feb. I've created my site from the font against all the sensible advice I could gather... time will tell how this fontercise unfolds. Oh, and any mac/linux users willing to download it and let me know if there are any hiccups? Greatly appreciated. :lol:
MADinMelbourne
the ART of Making A Difference
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Web Problem

Post by Dave Crosby »

Hi Dale,

I've made an image and your fonts available here:

http://enochutah.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=981
Last edited by Dave Crosby on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Dale Dickins

try madinmelbourne.com.au

Post by Dale Dickins »

the way the error shows, the site address is incorrect... pls try again.
MADinMelbourne
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Post by Dave Crosby »

You need to correct your Profile web address. The . is in the wrong place. it should be:

http://www.madinmelbourne.com.au/

I went there but never found your font. I did find a PDF zipfile with the explanation:
Copy the file, fineprintalphabel.ttf, from the email to the directory, C:\WINDOWS\Fonts on your hard disk drive.
With over a hundred thousand fonts in my collection, I would prefer NOT to put new fonts into my Windows Font File until I have examined them with MainType and FontCreator to see how much I like them.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

> I went there but never found your font.

Clicking on the GET FONTED heading allows access to a file which is named font.zip which, when unzipped, provides the font.

> With over a hundred thousand fonts in my collection, ....

Wow, I knew that there were lots of fonts about, but that is a huge number of fonts.

William Overington

21 January 2008
Dale Dickins

I typed in the address incorrectly, it's been fixed.

Post by Dale Dickins »

William, not quite sure what happened with your post

You said, "Clicking on the GET FONTED heading allows access to a file which is named font.zip which, when unzipped, provides the font"... yes, that's right, the madinmelbournefat.ttp font is in there... well, it should be anyway. Pls let me know if you got it.
MADinMelbourne
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

> Pls let me know if you got it.

Yes, I downloaded the font and tried it last Saturday.

I found an address for your webspace from your profile in this forum.

It said www.madinmelbourn.ecom.au at the time so I tried it even though it looked as if it were wrong and I then tried www.madinmelbourne.com.au as I knew that Melbourne is spelled with an e on the end. That worked. I clicked on the "with these instructions...." link and got a .zip file which unzipped to give a .doc file which mentions a fineprintalphabel.ttf file in relation to email. However, the context of the other thread in this forum about the font was that the font mentioned in the thread was intended to be available on the web, so I looked for it and, in fact, found it. I have, however, not found the fineprintalphabel.ttf file, though as email was mentioned I thought that it was perhaps not available on the web so I searched no further.

William Overington

21 January 2008
Dale Dickins

William, great detective work

Post by Dale Dickins »

I've created four fonts, the 'fine' one was the first.... therefore the only instructions I had were for that specific font. Since your brilliant discovery I have now changed the wording to stop any possible future confusion.

THANK YOU! Oh, and a 'font review' is also appreciated.
MADinMelbourne
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Post by Dave Crosby »

William wrote: > With over a hundred thousand fonts in my collection, ....

Wow, I knew that there were lots of fonts about, but that is a huge number of fonts.

William Overington
21 January 2008
I'm the little guy in the Font Collecting World.

Many collectors have over 300,000 fonts!

The problem is that I don't even have time to look at them, much less use them.
But when I find a new one I (compulsion) just have to have it!
That IS normal, isn't it?

And when I do want to use one ... Thank God for MainType and PANOSE!
Aut nunc aut nunquam
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Oh, and a 'font review' is also appreciated.
When I have published fonts in the Gallery section of this forum, I have often hoped for some reviews, yet few have been made of my fonts.

So, an implied request for me to review the font caused me to compare and contrast feelings that I am a hobbyist font designer who has had dreams of becoming a professional font designer yet realize that that may never happen and that I am not qualified to review someone else's font; yet also that now that I am a bit further along the learning curve than when I started and that I can but try to write a review, bearing in mind that my interest in creative writing has taught me that if one starts writing something then it often turns out much better than one dared to imagine when one started. Also, if I were unwilling to try to write a review, why should I hope for reviews of my own fonts? Yet maybe it is just the culture not to write reviews of other people's fonts unless reviews are specifically sought? So, here, within those boundaries, is a review.

I read somewhere that there is more interest in writing poetry than in reading poems written by other people. I wonder if the same is true about designing and making fonts and using fonts designed and made by others. I find various free fonts on the web, yet when it comes to designing something, which for me is always a hobbyist item, I tend to use my own fonts, though I will use something professional if the item has a greater purpose than me trying to be an artist.

Yet the almost magical thing about fonts is that one can use them to produce other things. So, if one uses someone else's font, something of his or her design skill is included in one's own work. Yet is that what one wants? For example, the madinmelbournefat font expresses the artistry of its designer. Looking at the web page about fashion, which uses the font to good effect, is a case in point.

http://www.madinmelbourne.com.au/fashion.html

For the use of writing about the font designer's opinions on fashion, it is excellent. It looks as if the writer has expressed opinions on a note. It adds to the message.

If I were writing a page about my ideas about fashion I would want to use my own font, or if that were not possible, I would want to use a font which did not look like it were someone else's personal font.

Personal font? Yet it is published. All of my own fonts are personal in that I designed and produced them, yet I do not regard all of them as personal fonts in the sense that they look as if any message produced with them are my own thoughts. I have not published personal fonts, though one of them can be viewed as it is used to display the text in each of the following documents.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/poster.PDF

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/cranes.PDF

So maybe the madinmelbournefat font should be thought of as a designer font rather than as a personal font.

The madinmelbournefat font successfully conveys the idea that the writer has somehow directly reached out and written on the web page using fibre tip pens, expressing thoughts directly, almost as if speaking, rather than having needed to bother with preparing an HTML text page! It is as if the text has flowed seamlessly from the mind of its writer onto the screen. To observe this effect, one needs to have the font installed on the computer being used to view the web page.

I wonder if the designer will use the font to produce fashion items, that is, to produce clothing with text printed upon it, so that as well as having a designer label added afterwards, a designer font is also used within the design of the garment itself. That would be stylish.

William Overington

22 January 2008