Yolanda

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Thinking about script faces as a result of reading this thread, I remembered Palace Script from the days of metal type. There were also other script fonts, such as Dorchester Script and Madonna Ronde.

An interesting and unusual, though perhaps not unique, feature of one script font, (I think perhaps it was Palace Script but I am not congruently certain), was the inclusion of special types for Mr and Mrs. The Mr type was an M followed by an r up in the air. The Mrs type as an M followed by rs up in the air. There might perhaps have been one for Miss as well.

I have searched for Palace Script on the web and found a few examples of the font in electronic fonts, but I have not yet found any examples of the special Mr and Mrs types. Maybe it was not Palace Script that had them or maybe they have not become transferred to an electronic version of the font or maybe they are present in the font yet not in the examples.

The reason that I am mentioning this is that it occurs to me that if the Yolanda font had special glyphs for Mr Mrs Ms Miss Mme and Mlle that they could be made available in the Private Use Area in a TrueType font at the present time and maybe also as discretionary ligatures in an OpenType font at a later time.

William Overington

25 February 2008
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Regarding Private Use Area code point allocations for special glyphs which might be useful in script fonts, the sixth and seventh posts in the following thread hopefully might be of interest.

viewtopic.php?t=2204

William Overington

9 April 2008
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Yolanda

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The links to Yolanda in this thread were broken, so I updated my version, and attached it to my previous post.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486