Kabala Update

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Kabala Update

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Download 7-zip archive • Kabala Typeface Sample

Updated with Petite Capitals, Petite Capitals from Capitals, Standard, Discretionary, Contextual, and Historical Ligatures, OldStyle, and Proportional Figures, Ordinals, Fractions, Alternative Fractions, Ornaments, Alternate Sets, and other OpenType features.

This font family includes eight styles: Regular, Italic, Semi-Bold, Semi-Bold Italic, Bold, Bold Italic, Extra-Bold, and Extra-Bold Italic.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Kabala Update

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Updated Kabala to version 2.70

Now eight typestyles, 2,359 Glyphs. The Initial Forms (Word Start Alternates) were removed because I don't think they add anything new to the font. They only make more work and bloat the font archive.

This completes the updates for all of my OpenType Fonts since the release of FontCreator 8.0 on 5th June. The new grouped-based kerning works very well, and greatly reduces the work-load for kerning large fonts. Small Capitals, Petite Capitals, and some Superscripts need kerning too, but with only a few hundred adjustment pairs to check after running Autokern, it doesn't take very long.

After checking one style carefully, export the script, and import that into another style of the same font, or even into a different font. Autokern will adjust the spacing to suit the font. Check for pairs like c- L- Z- or -J, which may be absurdly tight.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 2.80 fixes a bug in the OpenType feature precedence. You can now use Petite Capitals without disabling Standard and Discretionary Ligatures.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Kabala was updated to version 2.90. The spacing of the Semi-bold styles was improved to fit better between regular and bold.
Kabala Weights.png
Kabala Weights.png (27.65 KiB) Viewed 16078 times
The Ornaments Feature (ornm, Unknown in Serif Apps), was improved for easy typing of chess symbols with wk (white king), wq (white queen), wr (white rook), wb (white bishop), wn (white knight), wp (white pawn), bk (black king), bq (black queen), br (black rook), bb (black bishop), bn (black knight), bp (black pawn).
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.20 fixes the kerning classes bug and adds more kerning pairs.

The Alternative Fractions were improved for bold and semi-bold styles.

6/11/2016 (ver 3.20) • 8 type styles, 2,418 Glyphs, > 17K Kerning Pairs
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.30 added Localised Forms for Romanian, ligatures for Dutch, more Stylistic Alternates, improved kerning classes, and more kerning pairs. The archive includes web versions.

The improvements in FontCreator 10.1 certainly speed things up.
  1. Export/Import of scripts saves the most time, especially on a large family like this with the same glyphs in each style.
  2. Autokern and colour-coding of positive adjustments pairs makes it faster to spot errors
  3. Improved validation of class overlaps makes it easier to organise the kerning classes
  4. Find and List in search category makes it easy to find the glyphs that need fixing
  5. Improvement to Complete Composites speeds up redesigning glyphs
  6. Export All fully automates exporting *.otf and *.woff versions
  7. Last, but not least, I no longer seem to encounter problems removing fonts from MainType, so if I spot an error, it takes only about ten minutes to export the entire set again.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.40 was updated with FontCreator 10.1.
  1. Smaller, low profile accents are used where appropriate
  2. The spacing of accents is not so tight
  3. Kerning classes were improved and more pairs added
  4. Proportional figures were added
  5. The web versions have no Petite Capitals, and are therefore smaller, even with hinting
  6. A bug in glyph naming of Greek Petite Capitals was fixed (micosign µ is not the same glyph as Greek mu although it shares that name for legacy reasons).
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.41 fixed a bug in the fractions feature. Standard fractions were not being used at all as the lookups were in the wrong order.

The fonts also no longer include glyph names as they are no longer needed. This reduces file sizes. Removing the legacy kerning tables would reduce file size even more, but kerning would not then work in older applications, e.g. any version of PagePlus prior to PagePlus X9, which is the first to support GPOS kerning.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.50 February 2019
  1. Removed code-points from Private Use Area glyphs, except for the Apple Logo
  2. Added Bitcoin Currency Symbol for Unicode 11.00
  3. Added globe with meridian and clock face glyphs
  4. Added Colour glyphs for pagoda, directhit, and globe continents
  5. Removed Greek and Romanian scripts
  6. Replaced Contextual Ligatures with Stylistic Set ss01 (to allow it to be disabled)
  7. Replaced Localised Forms for Romanian with Stylistic Set ss02 (locl not supported by PagePlus)
  8. Replaced Stylistic Alternates with Character Variants (Ornaments)
  9. Moved ijacute from liga to dlig
  10. Improved positioning of super/subscripts for fractions (+ aligned with baselines)
  11. Tweaked kerning using a glyph spacing value of 29 for more generous spacing
  12. Fixed some ogonek glyphs for a smoother connection to the base glyph
  13. Used smaller diacritics for Petite Capitals