Alps (very first font !)

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.

What do you think about this typeface ?

Great !
100%
I like it
No votes
Can do better (insert comment here)
No votes
Crappy
No votes

Total votes: 1

schezar5

Alps (very first font !)

Post by schezar5 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:08 pm

Hello everyone,

Here's my very first font, there's a lot of work to do (SC, accents, layout & design of the overview etc. etc.) but I'll be happy to have a feedback of some type designers/lovers/pedestrians passing by :roll:

Any comments will be greatly appreciated,

http://schezar5.zoomshare.com/files/alps.pdf

Nicolas

PS : I have to apologize for my crappy English but you'll notice that my mother tongue is French :twisted:

PS 2 : You're right, adding transparency in Indesign was not a good idea :D

Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:30 pm

Hard to comment on the font without the font file to look at closely. You seem to have done a good job with the spacing, which is hard to get right, but I noticed a problem with the spacing of the ff ligature in the italic.

The PDF file is huge (6.58 Mbytes) because it is all graphics. Why not use text?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC12 Pro + MT8.0 @ Win10 1809 build 17763.615

schezar5

Post by schezar5 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:43 pm

Yes, there's some kerning problems.... in fact I forgot the add the kerning after the liga & accentuated caracters :x

And I knew it was a bad idea to make a "complex" layout ( in the postproccessing way) but I'd like to make a specimen with some esthetics and not just text...

Anything else to say Bhikkhu ? about the caracter shapes or weights... it seems the the "o" is a little bit too bold for exemple

Thanks a lot for your feedback

Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:48 pm

If you want to send me the font I can take a closer look, otherwise it not possible to examine it properly.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC12 Pro + MT8.0 @ Win10 1809 build 17763.615

schezar5

Post by schezar5 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:49 pm

I'll send you the f file aswhen I will have done all he work that will be needed in order to have a "complete" type face ... Thanks for your interest :wink: