Why are Font Creator Users so Shy?

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Why are Font Creator Users so Shy?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

How come nobody posted links to their wonderful creations?

I thought this Gallery would soon be a popular place where peeps could boast about their achievements and get feedback from other Fontophiles.

I promise not to make derisory comments about your pathetic attempts to make a font out of your handwriting. My handwriting is almost certainly worse than yours. :lol:
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
pia frauss

Not shy, but...

Post by pia frauss »

Namas te!

Dear BP, I’ve come to register here because I couldn’t resist your appeal! No, I’m not shy and I long to share my Font-Creator-creations with other people; but, excuse me, there may be some problems.

First of all, I’m a newbie. Last year, I purchased a cheap program that promised to turn my handwriting into a font, and was swiftly desillusioned. What I got didn’t resemble my handwriting in the least, and when I tried to make corrections, I discovered that the design tool of that program was terribly difficult to handle, whereas the curves were OT – dear me, will they ever get smooth? In short, the whole thing was a complete failure. Then I thought of other possiblities to use that program, e.g. to provide some of my favourite free fonts with those extra German characters that are lacking in most of them. Failure again! But by now I had become fascinated, and since I know a lot of Bastarda writings (that extremly decorative cursive hand of the “textura” eras), which for years I have dreamt of copying, I began to look around for a better program. I’m now working with FCP for three months. It’s wonderful throughout, but as to my gift for making fonts, I’m not so sure. Most certainly I shall never do it professionally. For all the pleasure I have in creating them, my fonts may not be worth looking at.

Secondly, I’m working at a lot of fonts alternatively – seven or eight these days, and none of them is near completion. If they are all finished, I shall select the best two or three to present them in the Gallery, no matter how harsh the criticisms; but I doubt that this event will take place so very soon – not before the end of the year, anyhow.

Thirdly, the only font I have completed so far, is not mine, originally. When I began to test FCP, I chose to alter a free font that I like very much, called BlackAria4. There are few opportunities to use it, since it has no upper case, no numbers, and no accented characters. Accordingly, I tried FCP to supply it with upper case and numbers, discovering in the process that this font had lots and lots of superfluous points and intersecting contours (I suppose the former is due to its being transformed from OT to TT ). Anyhow, I ended up with redesigning the whole font. Now, I should surely like to present it for download, the more so as I’ve made, for the sheer fun of it, a heap of accented characters that I shall never use. There may be a copyright problem, however: the curves are mine, but the glyphs are not. And I don’t know if this font was meant to be in the public domain. Therefore, I can so far only add an image to this gallery …

… supposing that I’m not the only one to be confronted with such problems, and hoping that some months hence I shall be able to contribute more.

Pia Frauss
Truth is the Daughter of Time
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

What an interesting post. I, too, am totally confused about copyright issues and I think the whole area is a total 'quagmire'. Some issues apply to US and others to Europe. Please will someone enlighten us with an authoratitive summary? I've read much and am still no further forward. So many interpretations are in conflict.
Your new upper-case glyphs seem to be exactly in keeping with the rest of the font.
Joe.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Geometric Template Font

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Here's a font you can copy and use as you wish. I spent ages making the perfect circle for a degree symbol, then put a few shapes together. If anybody wants to add some more useful bits and pieces to the font and email it to me, I'll update my website, then anyone can download it from this link.

Geometric Shapes Template
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Phineus

Re: Why so Shy?

Post by Phineus »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:How come nobody posted links to their wonderful creations?
Frankly, I'm new to fonts and haven't made any yet. At the moment I'm interested in fixed space and typewriter-like fonts but I find the whole business overwhelming in detail. I plan to print the manual hard copy and go through every page. I'll be in a better position to post something after that. In the meantime, this is an incredibly fascinating site. Please keep up the good work.
Starshyne

Re: Why are Font Creator Users so Shy?

Post by Starshyne »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:How come nobody posted links to their wonderful creations?
I just got the email that my favorite font program was updated and also just registered and joined this forum. :)

I don't use my created fonts to write or type with though but I will work on a gallery so I can show what I do use them on so the other fontholics here can enjoy. :) I do a lot of VRML creating so make fonts or shapes I can work with in Font Creator so I can use them as extrutions in my VRML programs such as Spazz.

Since I'm not sure how many members here will be able to view the 3D I make I'll take screen shots of the font glyphs then of the 3D item I made them into and post them into a gallery. Please be patient though as I'm differently abled so this will take me a week or so to accomplish but I think it will be fun for both the members here and myself. :)

Rainbow Hugs
Starshyne
pwillard

Post by pwillard »

Well, I'm not shy... but I am aware of the fact that my for work is rather focused. I usually do not create "complete" fonts.

I create 3D Models for Computer Games, specifically "train simulators" and as a result, I often need to match fonts used by the many railroad companies in the US (Past and Present).

This forces me to research (mostly from photographs) in a attempt to copy fonts that are in many cases ONE-OF-A-KIND.

For example, I just finished a font for St Louis & San Francisco Railroad, aka FRISCO. It was a lot of fun creating this very elongated font. While I only had references to the letter's "F,R,I,S,C,O", It was all I needed to "make up" the rest of the letters.

Here is an example:

The "FRISCO" Herald was done with the aid of the Greatly Improved Image import.

Here us an example of the origin of this font.

I named this font "EURIDA", since it seems a "FRISCO" font already exists.

Pete
Last edited by pwillard on Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pete
cobaltgreen

Post by cobaltgreen »

Re: copyright.
My inderstanding is that copyright is for tyhe pure original...if you alter it in any way then it is no longer the original...it is new....the whole of history is original ideas reworked...change a font and it is no loger that font...hence no copyright issues......a font is a pure specific...change it and it becomes elsefont.......I'm pretty sue....someone correct me if not. :roll:
Regardesvous Amigos,
cobaltgreen
cobaltgreen

Post by cobaltgreen »

well aint pretty sue...sorry....just pretty sure....I had a long day.....
Regardesvous Amigos,
cobaltgreen
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Hello cobaltgreen

Gotta be morally careful of them copyright issues. This is generally a well-worn subject but I believe it boils down to if you use it for profit (or for your benefit) you owe the designer.

There are enough knockoffs out there which may/may not be changed enough to create a new, original font. With FCP it is incredibly easy to change a few points here and there and change the name and other stuff. The threshold of "changed enough" is very vague. It probably would have to be tested in court.

Short of that, I have heard stories of font vendors writing nasty letters to protect their properties.

If you steal a design, you are a thief! If you use a design which you know to be stolen, you are a receiver of stolen property -- i.e., a user!! In fact, you might be "pretty sue" if you do...

I've come to alter my view of free fonts a lot after being a "collector". You receive what you pay for. Almost every free font has some thing wrong with it even those coming from famous font artists. They've got to cut corners.

If you pay good money you are likely to get a better product. Paying for fonts gives you to the moral high road and gives bread to a font designers children.

DP
Koshiro

Bhikkhu Pesala´s Unicode fonts

Post by Koshiro »

I just want to thank Bhikkhu Pesala for his wonderful Unicode fonts. It is easy to get Unicode text fonts, but I have never seen any fonts for headlines before.
I have just bought the program, and I am busy adding €-sings into my fonts. That is quite easy - also for a beginner. With pleasure I noticed, that Bhikkhu Pesala´s fonts not only had the €-sign, but also the Danish-Norwegian letters ÆØÅ. Living in Denmark, we cannot do without them. The letter Æ is a little harder to make, as it consists of a and e and I have not learned about kerning yet.

But thank you again Bhikkhu Pesala
from
Ensei Koshirojavascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy
(Mahayana)
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Adding æ and Æ to fonts

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Hello Bhikkhu Pesala

As usual a good tutorial, but I am unclear in Stage 4 where you say en passant
and select "Get Union of contours" from the toolbar.
I looked around and couldn't find "Get Union". Where or Where has my Get Union gone?

Dick
ps Thanks for the clarification on the keyboard mapping problem. As you correctly intimated, I don't know anything about keyboard mapping but continue to answer questions about it! DP
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

FCP 5 will do this joining process automatically. It is not perfect yet, but it works well with joining all but the most complex contours.