Sonnet Calligraphic

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Sonnet Calligraphic

Post by William »

William wrote:
U+E5D2 Alt 58834 Lowercase p with long decorated flourish
Whilst experimenting as in the previous post in this thread, I tried a design using the Lowercase p with long decorated flourish glyph from previously, which is also in the Sonnet Calligraphic 020 font.

The pdf seems fine. I have tried displaying it on screen, though not in hardcopy print.

However, the graphic, which is in the same size as the other graphics thus far displayed in this thread, does not seem to work too well, due to the fine line of the decoration within the flourish. However, the graphic is included here so as to show that effect.
pineapple.pdf
Trying one of the calligraphic alternate glyphs of the Sonnet Calligraphic 020 font
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
Trying one of the calligraphic alternate glyphs of the Sonnet Calligraphic 020 font
pineapple.png (6.77 KiB) Viewed 15648 times
William Overington

17 April 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

William wrote:
U+E5D6 Alt 58838 Lowercase h with spiral flourish
Some readers might like these two print screen images made at 16% from FontCreator 5.6 and then made into graphic files using Microsoft Paint showing an early stage and the final stage of producing the Lowercase h with spiral flourish glyph. The first image has been reconstructed from the final stage of the glyph, but is as it was at the time of the original design.
early_stage.png
early_stage.png (6.81 KiB) Viewed 15648 times
final_stage.png
final_stage.png (8.72 KiB) Viewed 15648 times
The early stage image shows how a framework has been produced using straight lines. Verticals and horizontals are not the same width. The ascender is 64 font units wide and the vertical section at the right is 48 font units wide. The other sections are mostly 32 font units wide, though the tip of the spiral is not quite so wide.

The final stage image is then produced by changing the on-curve points of the calligraphic part to become off-curve points and then adding an on-curve point between adjacent off-curve points.

This adding of on-curve points is quite straightforward. Simply select a point on the contour and consider the next point in the clockwise diection. If both are off-curve points, key an a character so as to add an on-curve point between them: if either or both of them are on-curve points, then key a w character so as to move the selected point marker to the next point on the contour. The process is then repeated until every point on the contour has been considered.

In practice, a first design for the calligraphic part is designed, then the points of that part are all made off-curve and the design considered. The points are then made on-curve again and the design altered and then the points of that part are all made off-curve and the design reconsidered. This process is repeated until a design that is liked is produced, after which the adding of the extra on-curve points takes place.

I hope that this is of interest.

William Overington

17 April 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

The two designs in this post were produced on Saturday 17 April 2010.

They show much the same design ideas as in some of the examples uploaded on that day, yet some readers may perhaps nonetheless find them of interest.
ecotown.pdf
(5.88 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
ecotown.png (9.12 KiB) Viewed 15627 times
holly2.pdf
(5.71 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
holly.png (8.57 KiB) Viewed 15627 times
William Overington

22 April 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

If one tries to make a diagram, using the Sonnet Calligraphic 020 font, the diagram being of the same nature as the first diagram within the post in this thread that is timestamped as Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:58 pm, such that the new diagram would show the underlying construction of the calligraphic curve in the glyph at U+E5E6 in the Sonnet Calligraphic 020 font, then the resulting diagram does not show the structure as the design was intended. This being due to mistakes made in the process of producing the glyph.

Thus I decided to correct the design. The design is for a letter t. The glyphs at U+E5E8, U+E5EA, U+E5EC and U+E5EE (namely b, h, k and lowercase l) were each constructed using a copy of part of the glyph at U+E5E6, thus they needed correction as well.

There is little change to the overall visual display of the glyphs, yet I felt that I wanted to correct the errors, so I produced the Sonnet Calligraphic 021 font.
SONNC021.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 021 font
(31.74 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
William Overington

29 April 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Here are diagrams of a calligraphic h produced using the Sonnet Calligraphic 021 font at 72 point in WordPad and of a reconstructed design in FontCreator showing an early stage of the design. The orange grid being used in FontCreator is at 256 font unit intervals. Both diagrams were produced by making a Print Screen and then pasting into Paint and then trimming and saving as a png graphic file.
a calligraphic h
a calligraphic h
a_calligraphic_h.png (2.34 KiB) Viewed 15589 times
early stage for an h
early stage for an h
early_stage_for_an_h.png (6.87 KiB) Viewed 15589 times
William Overington

1 May 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Last Saturday morning I experimented with adding some glyphs each of a letter b each with a high sinewave-like calligraphic swash.

The idea is that the sinewave-like calligraphic swash is produced with a minimum number of points. I began with just off-curve points spaced either 256 font units or 512 font units horizontally apart and each with one of just two vertical positions. Thus the sinewave-like calligraphic swash is produced largely by the mathematical nature of the Bézier curves used in TrueType fonts. I then added an on-curve point mid-way between each pair of adjacent off-curve points.

Here is some transcript.

---- Start of transcript

7:33 am

Open SONNC021.TTF.

Save as SONNC022.TTF.

Use Tools AutoNaming... so as to adjust the name and date.

Add U+E5EF Alt 58863 as a copy of U+E5E7 and then delete all except the basic letter b.
Add a sine-wave-like flourish.

Add U+E5F0 Alt 58864 as a copy of U+E5EF and try to make the flourish diminish as it goes along.

There are eight blocks of 256 to go in by 256 either down or up.
So that is 32 font units per block for a linear diminishing.
This leaves one point as off-curve extreme, so use automated validation to fix this problem.

This seems to be too much diminishing, on a purely subjective aesthetic basis.

So, try again by adding U+E5F1 Alt 58865 as a copy of U+E5EF, this time using a diminishing of 16 font units per block.

---- End of transcript

When producing the diminishing curves, I first deleted the on-curve points that were between the off-curve points of the sinewave-like calligraphic swash and then moved most of the off-curve points vertically. I then added an on-curve point mid-way between each pair of adjacent off-curve points. This left one point as an off-curve extreme point, so I used automated validation to fix this problem.
SONNC022.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 022 font
(32.25 KiB) Downloaded 523 times
Here is some text ready to copy onto the clipboard and then paste into WordPad and then format at 72 point using the Sonnet Calligraphic 022 font in case any readers would like to try the font.

banana
anana
anana
anana

William Overington

10 May 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

On Monday 10 May 2010 I produced the Sonnet Calligraphic 023 font, which adds one glyph, a calligraphic f somewhat lower than the previous calligraphic letters f.

Here is a transcript of the notes that I made at the time.

----

Monday 10 May 2010

12:33 pm

Open SONNC022.TTF.

Save as SONNC023.TTF.

Add U+E5F2 Alt 58866 as a copy of U+E5C3, the second of the large calligraphic letters f.

Try to redesign the U+E5F2 glyph of an f so that the phrase eautiul cairap looks good.
Try to use a copy of the flourish with the going back piece from U+E5BB, a glyph of a b.
Yet maybe somewhat higher.
Various moving of points tried so as to get a first attempt.
That includes some from the lower flourish so that it looks more balanced.

1:04 pm

----

Earlier this morning I used the font with the Serif PagePlus version X3 program to produce both a pdf document file and a png graphic file of the phrase beautiful calligraphy.
SONNC023.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 023 font
(32.38 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
beautiful_calligraphy.pdf
Trying seven of the calligraphic alternate glyphs of the Sonnet Calligraphic 023 font
(4.1 KiB) Downloaded 561 times
Trying seven of the calligraphic alternate glyphs of the Sonnet Calligraphic 023 font
beautiful_calligraphy.png (10.74 KiB) Viewed 15528 times
William Overington

15 May 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Here are two typecase_ pdfs.
typecase_Sonnet_Calligraphic_023_calligraphic_alternates.pdf
Sonnet Calligraphic 023 calligraphic alternates
(9.73 KiB) Downloaded 541 times
typecase_Sonnet_Calligraphic_023_calligraphic_ligatures.pdf
Sonnet Calligraphic 023 calligraphic ligatures
(8.72 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
William Overington

17 May 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Yesterday I experimented by trying to add a calligraphic version of a v to the font.

In the event, three glyphs were added.
SONNC024.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 024 font
(32.69 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
I used much the same technique as before of constructing a framework for the calligraphic flourish using on-curve points and then making them become off-curve points and then adding an on-curve point between each pair of adjacent off-curve points. However, there was some difference this time as up until now all of the lines had been either horizontal or vertical, yet this time one of the lines is at an angle.

The line was extended by a process that was started by making a copy of the original v contour and pasting it into the glyph and then moving the contour to the right by 400 font units and then deleting the left side of the contour so that a copy of just the right side of the contour remained.

The coordinate values of the upper left point of the right side of the v were noted.

The coordinate values of the lower left point of the copy of the lone right side were noted.

The lone right side contour was then moved using the arrow keys, sometimes using the arrow keys in conjunction with the Shift key or the Control key, so that the two points became coincided.

The two contours were then joined. This produced a single contour of a v with a longer right side.

The extending process was repeated so that a still longer right side was produced.

Along the way a few points were deleted from the right side as thought desirable.

Here is a transcript of the notes that I added to a WordPad .rtf file as I went along.

====

Thursday 20 May 2010

6:53 am

Open SONNC023.TTF.

Save as SONNC024.TTF.

Add U+E5F3 Alt 58867 as a copy of v.
Try to make the right side line go up and over to the right.

The glyph seems to curve off at too high a point.

Copy it as U+E5F4 Alt 58868 and try to make the curve start at a lower point.
Try, for each side of the line, splitting the difference and deleting the upper points from where the curve started previously.

Try U+E5F5 Alt 58869 as a copy of U+E5F4 that goes out further to the right.

Which of the latest two glyphs is better? Or does it depend upon the text with which it is used?

----

about 7:25 am

----

12:38 pm

Alter U+E5F3, U+E5F4 and U+E5F5 so that each has a three point rounded end on the calligraphic flourish.
Use a height of three-quarters of the width. That is a height of 24 font units with a width of 32 font units.

====

William Overington

21 May 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Yesterday I made a new version of the font, adding four glyphs.
SONNC025.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 025 font
(33.13 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
Here is a transcript of the notes that I made in a WordPad .rtf file as I proceeded.

----

Thursday 27 May 2010

7:22 am

Yesterday I was experimenting with using the font and tried typesetting the following.

beautiful calligraphy in the style of the renaissance

Two matters were noticed.

In the word style, using either of the calligraphic st ligatures results in a clash with the lowercase l. I thought that it would be worth trying to add a calligraphic st ligature that would not clash with a lowercase l that follows it.

In the word renaissance, although a swash end-of-word calligraphic e can be used, the font has nothing that allows the word to stand out. I thought that it would be worth trying to add a calligraphic double long-s glyph to the font.

Open SONNC024.TTF.

Save as SONNC025.TTF.

As a step towards producing a calligraphic double long-s glyph, first add three calligraphic long-s glyphs, by copying the calligraphic f glyphs and adapting them.

Add U+E5F6 Alt 58870, U+E5F7 Alt 58871 and U+E5F8 Alt 58872 as copies of U+E5C2, U+E5C3 and U+E5F2.

  

Make the advance width of each 128 font units.

Try adding U+E5F9 Alt 58873 as a ligature glyph made of two copies of U+E5F7.

Replace the descender of the first s by a copy of the descender of U+E5F8.

The advance width is increased to 256 font units.

Lower the ascender of the second s by 128 font units.

Move the end structure of the ascender of the first s to the right by 128 font units and move the end structure of the second s to the left by 128 font units, taking care to delete the on-curve mid points at the centre top before moving and adding them again after moving.

----

William Overington

28 May 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

On Friday 28 May 2010 I made a new version of the font. This version adds two glyphs.
SONNC026.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 026 font
(33.31 KiB) Downloaded 523 times

----

Friday 28 May 2010

1:25 pm

Open SONNC025.TTF.

Save as SONNC026.TTF.

As U+E5F9 has two separate contours, try to make U+E5FA Alt 58874 and U+E5FB Alt 58875 as individual letters long-s, one as a copy of one contour and one as a copy of the other contour.

 

Make the advance width of each 128 font units.

The long-s made from a copy of the second of the contours needs moving to the left by 128 font units.

----

William Overington

31 May 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

On Monday 31 May 2010 I added four glyphs to the font. These are U+E5FC Alt 58876 through to U+E5FF Alt 58879 by starting each of them as a copy of the b with the long flourish of U+E5F1 Alt 58865 and adapting them for h, k, lowercase l and t respectively.
SONNC027.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 027 font
(33.94 KiB) Downloaded 528 times

----

Monday 31 May 2010

12:50 pm

Open SONNC026.TTF.

Save as SONNC027.TTF.

Add U+E5FC Alt 58876 through to U+E5FF Alt 58879 by starting each of them as a copy of the b with the long flourish of U+E5F1 and adapting them for h, k, lowercase l and t respectively.

   

The advance width of the lowercase l needs changing to become 128 font units.

The notes made on Saturday 8 May 2010 show the design of the b going back to a copy of U+E5E7.

----

William Overington

2 June 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Yesterday afternoon I added one glyph to the font.

The additional glyph is mapped to U+E60A Alt 58890. It is a calligraphic lowercase l, designed so that a non-overlapping double lowercase l can be produced when U+E5FE Alt 58878 and U+E60A Alt 58890 are used together. For example in the word windmill.
SONNC028.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 028 font
(34.09 KiB) Downloaded 524 times

----

Wednesday 2 June 2010

16:17 pm

Open SONNC027.TTF.

Save as SONNC028.TTF.

Add U+E60A Alt 58890 by adapting a copy of U+E5FE Alt 58878 so that a non-overlapping double lowercase l can be produced when U+E5FE and U+E60A are used together. For example in the word windmill. This is at U+E60A rather than at U+E600 as ten spaces are left unused at present so that hopefully variations on ct and st etc so as not to clash with the ascenders of a following lowercase l can be produced.
Move all of the points above the baseline down by 256 font units. That is, move all but two of the points down by 256 font units.

windmi

----

William Overington

3 June 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

On Monday 7 June 2010 I added ten glyphs to the font. They are U+E60B Alt 58891 through to U+E614 Alt 58900 as long ascender and descender versions respectively of b, d, h, j, k, l, p, q, t and thorn.
SONNC029.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 029 font
(35.23 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
Here is a transcript of the notes that I wrote as I made the additions.

----

Monday 7 June 2010

11:15 am

Open SONNC028.TTF.

Save as SONNC029.TTF.

Add ten glyphs, U+E60B Alt 58891 through to U+E614 Alt 58900 as long ascender and descender versions respectively of b, d, h, j, k, l, p, q, t, thorn. Produce them by moving the end structures up or down by 512 font units in each case.

         

----

William Overington

9 June 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I have been having some fun trying the Sonnet Calligraphic 029 font within a multimedia authoring program named Opus Creator.

I have exported a stand-alone executable file for a PC and I have uploaded it to our family webspace. It is 2,075,106 bytes in size.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/calligraphic.exe

In addition, as it is a .exe file and I am making it available on the web, I emailed a copy from one email address to another, the receiving email address holding emails on the server and having a virus-checking system that checks a file before allowing one to download it to local storage and it reported "No virus threat detected".

The .exe file was exported from Opus Creator earlier this afternoon, by me, on the same computer that I regularly use. For provenance I mention that Opus Creator is made by Digital Workshop and http://www.digitalworkshop.com is their webspace.

However, upon running the program, Windows prompts and says that it is from an Unknown Publisher. At present I do not know how, or if, without disproportionate cost, I can change that.

Anyway, all it does is draw some text on the screen, glyph by glyph, one at a time, using the Sonnet Calligraphic 029 font.

Some of the glyphs used were introduced in the Sonnet Calligraphic 029 font and some were introduced in earlier versions and are also in the Sonnet Calligraphic 029 font.

William Overington

9 June 2010