Kadosh Samaritan

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
shawn eyer

Kadosh Samaritan

Post by shawn eyer »

I created the Kadosh Samaritan font using version 3 of FCP. It's become quite popular in Masonic circles and is even used by some surviving members of the Samaritan culture -- once a mighty ancient people, there are only 700 Samaritans left.

The Samaritan characters are a glyphic variation of paleohebrew, in turn derived from the Phoenician script. In this PDF file you may see the font in action (I don't imagine most of you will have a lot of interest in downloading it).

http://www.orindalodge.org/fonts/kadosh ... l_1_10.pdf

I haven't made the Unicode version yet, but that is coming soon.
cc48510

Post by cc48510 »

I have a few questions...since I'm interested in languages and the Bible. Are these the same characters used in the Samaritan Penteauch ? If so, does Samaritan equate letter-for-letter/word-for-word to Hebrew ? Do you know where I can find a copy of the Samaritan Penteauch online ? I would love to look at it sometime and see how it varies from the Hebrew (MT) and Greek (LXX).

I've read that the [Genesis] chronologies are different from both the MT (Hebrew) and LXX (Greek)...and there are purportedly some differences relating to the place of worship.
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Old Alphabets

Post by Dave Crosby »

Aut nunc aut nunquam
cc48510

Post by cc48510 »

Thanks
Pistolero

Post by Pistolero »

Hello,

Very intresting, some of the letters looks like Avestan.
I'd love to download that font once you have it in Unicode. Please post it.
What range do you plan to use? The Hebrew one?