Disc and Annuli font

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Disc and Annuli font

Post by William »

I am trying to use the Serif ImpactPlus 5 program to design a three-dimensional model of a dinner plate with the following text going around the plate.

Food with no gluten-containing ingredients

It might be that the text is used twice.

The idea is that if such dinner plates were manufactured it could help to avoid mix-ups in restaurants and hotels when serving food to people who need or choose a meal with no gluten-containing ingredients.

ImpactPlus has the very useful facility that a character from a font can be used to make a three-dimensional object, so, in order to be able to make a model of a plate suitable to be textured with the lettering, I made a special font using FontCreator.

The font provides a disc encoded as a figure 0, and seven annuli, encoded as figures 1 through to 7.

The font was produced for a specific purpose, yet it might perhaps also have other uses.

Here is the font.
DISCANNU.TTF
Disc and Annuli font
(8 KiB) Downloaded 549 times

Here is my attempt at using the font to produce a concept illustration of the idea. The design of the plate uses three-dimensional objects made from the disc and from one of the annuli to make the plate.

The lettering on the plate was produced by texturing the object with a png file made using the Serif DrawPlus X4 program: the png was trimmed using the Microsoft Paint program while I was experimenting.
A concept illustration of an idea: the making of the illustration included using two fonts made using FontCreator
A concept illustration of an idea: the making of the illustration included using two fonts made using FontCreator
plate_design.png (37.93 KiB) Viewed 4141 times

Making the special font using FontCreator allowed me to make the model of the plate within the ImpactPlus 5 program.

William Overington

28 June 2011
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Disc and Annuli font

Post by William »

Some further experimentation has resulted in another image.
plate_design2.png (37.1 KiB) Viewed 4124 times

William Overington

29 June 2011