Some glyphs designed using FontCreator 7.5

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Some glyphs designed using FontCreator 7.5

Post by William »

Glyphs designed for the internationalization of the web-based on-line shops of museums and art galleries

Imagine please if museum and art gallery websites each were to have an international webpage in its on-line shop.

If there were on the webpage colourful symbols, one each for Surname, Forename, Card number and so on and the end-user could display text in his or her own language by displaying the appropriate read-out label next to each symbol, thus localizing the web page, then that could be very helpful.

I have produced designs for nine symbols. There are two glyphs for each symbol, one colourful and one monochrome. The symbols are octagonal, using not quite a regular octagon. In the monochrome glyphs there is a border around the edge, yet in the colourful glyphs there is no border. The colourful glyphs are displayed in blue and orange, the idea being that the effect to the viewer is of blue upon an orange background.

The designs are influenced by heraldry to some extent.

This is because I consider Surname to be the most important, so I used a heraldic chief.

Then for Forename I used a pale as Forename is different from Surname yet accompanies to Surname to form a name.

A bar is used for Address.

Name as on card may be different from Forename concatenated with a space and Surname, due to use of Mr Mrs Miss Ms etc and initials, hence the reason for the design not being a union of a chief and one pale.

Two bars are used for Card number.

Card start date and Card expiry date seemed liked brackets, so that inspired the designs.

Card security code is just a design so as to be different from the other designs yet not use any diagonal shapes.

Delivery address is included to allow for the possibility of sending a gift directly to someone who lives at another address.

Here are images showing the designs.
colourful_glyphs.png
colourful_glyphs.png (21.17 KiB) Viewed 15732 times
monochrome_glyphs.png
monochrome_glyphs.png (20.91 KiB) Viewed 15732 times
William Overington

21 April 2014
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Some glyphs designed using FontCreator 7.5

Post by William »

Some readers might like to know that I have now added another glyph to the artwork.

I had some problems doing it, but Bhikkhu Pesala kindly advised me in the following thread and so I was able to produce the desired result.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6132

William Overington

Thursday 7 April 2016
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Here are some pictures.
another_colourful_glyph.png
another_colourful_glyph.png (3.25 KiB) Viewed 13977 times
another_monochrome_glyph.png
another_monochrome_glyph.png (2.14 KiB) Viewed 13977 times
William
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I am hoping to use the artwork to make a font using a plane 0 Private Use Area mapping and then make a web font and apply it.

Yet I need to learn how to apply a web font. So I have started a thread about applying a web font.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6133

William
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I am hoping to develop the application of these glyph designs.

Several computers later and I feared that I had lost the artwork.

Yet fortunately I found from the linked thread that I had emailed to myself, copies of the .fcp project files.

So I have recovered the second one, saved it as version 003 and produced a font.

The glyphs to use are encoded as 1 through to 9 and colon.

It is a colour font with monochrome fallback.

I hope to produce a later version with Private Area Use mappings and also OpenType sequence mappings as if the ten glyphs are ligatures.

Yet here is the font to try out the glyphs if readers so choose.

The font has a .otf extension but there are no OpenType features at present.

William
artwork003.otf
(9.49 KiB) Downloaded 373 times