Typey McTypeface

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Typey McTypeface

Post by PJMiller »

I have made another font.

This one I have called Typey McTypeface and it is a font for Arctic Sailors ( if you don't know what I'm talking about then point your web browser at your favourite search engine and search for 'Boaty McBoatface'). :)

This started life as the 'Chelsea' font by Dieter Steffmann http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designe ... /index.htm. I have modified it and extended it with his kind permission.

The coverage is just Windows Glyph List 4 plus a few extra glyphs.

If anyone has any comments I would be glad to receive them.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted attached fonts because updated version is attached below
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Typey McTypeface

Post by PJMiller »

I just updated the name to 'Typey McTypeface' as it should have been all along if it weren't for my dyslexia. :D
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Hi

> I just updated the name to 'Typey McTypeface' as it should have been all along if it weren't for my dyslexia. :D

I have just now downloaded the fonts.

The names are still Tipey McTypeface with an i in Tipey.

I like the ct ligature and also the fact that you have included the accented characters that are needed for Esperanto.

William
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Sorry, I didn't update it on this forum but on Deviant Art where I posted it for everyone to download.

It's at http://fav.me/dafdyhm

I also added the four Cyrillic characters which have recently been included in Windows Glyph List 4.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Here is the file I posted on Deviant Art.
Attachments
Typey McTypeface.zip
(249.19 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Just updated to version 1.3. (also updated the file in the previous post)

Corrected a fault in the lower case 'p' in both upright and italic.

Re-designed the lower case italic 'z'.

Everything else is just as it was.

The link to deviant art is still valid and points to the new version.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

1. There's no need to use two lookups for Standard Ligatures, one can do it all.
  2. My personal preference is to rename the lookups to match the features, just because it makes it easier to know which lookups are used by which feature. The defaults will work just as well.
Standard Ligatures.png
Standard Ligatures.png (30.45 KiB) Viewed 9614 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

I know, that came about because they started off in two different look ups and I was too lazy to combine the two.

In normal typing I don't use ligatures very much (not at all until I designed Kelvinch).

I have been playing about with ligatures in Typey testing the font in Microsoft Word and seeing what happened and how it might be used. These tables have been altered many times. Based on this I might go back and change the ligatures in Kelvinch, when I get round to it.

The problem is that most people will be using this font with Microsoft Word. Versions of Word before 2010 aren't able to use most open type features (and the support is still very bad), but from version 2010 onwards people are able to turn on ligatures but they aren't able to turn them on individually.

You can select either no ligatures, standard ligatures only, standard and contextual, historical and discresionary or all ligatures. Which means that if you put any discressionary ligatures in your font then the user can only have them if they also switch on historical ligatures which might not be what the user wants.

I was thinking of turning the discressionary ligatures into contextual ligatures so that they can be used without switching on the historic ligatures. Not ideal I know but it might be more useful to someone using the font.

I don't even know what contextual ligatures are supposed to be used for but this probably isn't it.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

PJMiller wrote:I was thinking of turning the discressionary ligatures into contextual ligatures so that they can be used without switching on the historic ligatures. Not ideal I know but it might be more useful to someone using the font.
Modern browsers (including IE10) support OpenType features such as contextual ligatures. Older browsers only support standard ligatures, which is what Apple Sans Adjectives uses.
I don't even know what contextual ligatures are supposed to be used for but this probably isn't it.
Read about the feature here: https://www.microsoft.com/typography/ot ... e.htm#clig
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10