Acariya • A Less Condensed Version of Guru

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Acariya • A Less Condensed Version of Guru

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Acariya.png
Acariya.png (7.77 KiB) Viewed 24465 times
This initial release of Acariya has the same glyphs and OpenType features as Guru, but is 10% less condensed. Guru was designed to save paper, but since I rarely print anything on paper now, a less condensed version is easier to read in PDF publications.

DownloadTypeFace Sample
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Acariya: A Less Condensed Version of Guru

Post by PJMiller »

Very nice, Guru is OK but I thought it a little cramped, this one is just right, thanks. :D
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 1.10 fixed a few bugs, and reduced file sizes by using composites for subscripts from the superscript glyphs. The Italic and bold italic enclosed alphanumeric glyphs were also shifted right to compensate for the italic angle.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 1.20 fixes a lot of defects caused by the way that the Thin Transformation works.

It would be better if it was proportional to the stroke weight. See this feature request

I have now completed all four type styles and updated the archive my web page.

No doubt I will find more bugs later, but I think its good enough to use now.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The font looks great. I couldn't locate any issues at first glance, but did notice the kerning isn't class based. Did FontCreator flatten your class based kerning?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin Denissen wrote:The font looks great. I couldn't locate any issues at first glance, but did notice the kerning isn't class based. Did FontCreator flatten your class based kerning?
Yes. My kerning is class-based in all of my fonts now. It happens to Acariya, Guru, Garava, but not to Pali. I have sent you some project files by email.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Thank you for sending the font project files. Class based kerning isn't possible due to overlapping glyph classes. We'll release an update soon which will show which classes are overlapping when you recompile the OpenType feature code.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

That fixed it, and the Windows menu bug that I reported earlier.

Updated again to version 1.21
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 1.30 fixed lots of bugs, added many kerning pairs, and the archive now includes smaller versions with fewer symbols, no Petite Capitals (only Small Capitals), and no Greek Extended. However, these web versions are hinted as otherwise some light glyphs might not look so good.

Upgrading is strongly recommended. The early versions were a bit of a rush job, just to get the font published. This has been more thoroughly checked, but as always I will glad to hear about any bugs.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 1.40 added localised forms for Romanian, ligatures for Dutch, smaller accents for Small and Petite Capitals, improved kerning classes, and added many more kerning pairs. It includes smaller web versions.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 1.50 improved some ogonek contours, added four glyphs with ogonek for Nordic, and added some more kerning pairs.

Version 1.60 improved many contours, added two glyphs for irony punctuation, and added many more kerning pairs.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It is next to impossible to spot any issues with your fonts, but the upcoming improvements to the validation feature did find one minor issue with germandbls.smcp.
suspiciouspoint.png
suspiciouspoint.png (71.76 KiB) Viewed 24198 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin Denissen wrote:It is next to impossible to spot any issues with your fonts, but the upcoming improvements to the validation feature did find one minor issue with germandbls.smcp.
Thanks. However, the more closely I look, the more issues I discover. I ran the glyph validator on Acariya Regular, which came up with another 5 glyphs with redundant points. I then ran the glyph transform optimize feature, validated again, and found loads more issues. So I scrapped that and started again.

The 4 numerator for stacking fractions was the main problem, so I have now fixed that.
Crooked Bracket.png
Crooked Bracket.png (26.56 KiB) Viewed 24194 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The 4 numerator for stacking fractions was the main problem, so I have now fixed that.
Good catch!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 1.61 was released to fix these bugs.