Mike Hebrew v1.02

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Mike Hebrew v1.02

Post by Mike Thompson »

A new version of my font is available, see
http://mikethompsonpaintings.com/font.

This version provides all the Unicode characters for Hebrew. Many of the characters are also mapped to latin codes to allow for use with the hebrew word processor DavkaWriter.

On my machine (Windows 98), Italic and Bold Italic cannot be used in the same document because only one of them can be visible. If I go to c:\Windows\Fonts and double click on MikeHebrewBoldItalic_v.02 then a window will open with the title "Mike Hebrew Bold Italic" but under it the italic font will appear! This error can also be the other way around.
Note that my hebrew italic leans to the left (opposite to latin italic) so if you see it leaning to the right you are looking at pseudo italic not at my font!

Does this happen on anyone elses Windows? Please let me know.
Also an anyone figure out WHY?

On Mac OSX there do not seem to be any problems.

Thanks to Erwin for providing the server to host these font downloads.

Mike
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Mike Thompson »

The problem of Bold Italic 'overwriting' Italic has been with me for some time. When the Bold Italic font is installed, the Italic font is no longer seen and when one tries to use it, Bold Italic is displayed instead.

I felt this was a quirk of my aging Windows 98 but a few days ago a user reported to me that it also happens on Windows XP. This makes the problem more serious.

Currently (maybe due to the order in which instalation was done), Italic 'overwrites' Bold Italic on my system.

Any ideas on how I should investigate this?
Mike
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

Hello Mike,

No definitive solution yet and mine definitely isn't! I had a similar problem previously but not the same. See:

viewtopic.php?t=376&highlight=bold

Hope you rectify the problem.

Joe.
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Trying to fix Bold Italic

Post by Mike Thompson »

Thanks for your help.
Changed the filenames to indicate my next version V1.03.
Ran FCP AutoNaming for each font and changed the release number and date. Installed the new versions.
Ran FiFoFo which reported no errors for Mike Hebrew.
Opened each font in the C:\Windows\Font directory by double clicking.
The regular and bold appeared to be ok.
The italic font opened to display the bold italic (as did the bold italic).
The dialog boxes for regular and bold showed the name of the font at the top, then a section for details (Typeface Name, File size, version and copyright notice) and below this the font was displayed.
The dialog boxes for italic and bold italic were different.
There was no details area. Also the Mike Hebrew fonts for the largest size were not displayed instead I got "The quick brown fox..." in latin.
Any ideas?

Mike
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

More on Bold Italic

Post by Mike Thompson »

Imediately after my last posts. I unistalled italic and bold italic. Then for each of them, I ran FCP AutoNaming, saved and istalled again.
A double click now produces a MS font dialog boxes that look normal
however both fonts display the bold italic face. I noticed that in C:Windows/Fonts in the Modified column, only the italic font got an updated date.
Odd.

Mike
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Yet even more on Bold Italic

Post by Mike Thompson »

I uninstalled bold italic. A double click on the italic font in c:\windows\fonts now displays italic.
I now ran FCP, opened bold italic, ran Naming and made a change to the copyright notice, then installed it using FCP.
A double click on the italic font, displays the bold italic AND the change I made to the copyright notice.
I give up (for this evening).

Mike