My First Complete Font by using FontCreator 13

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
Husham
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

My First Complete Font by using FontCreator 13

Post by Husham »

Hi,
I have release My First Complete Arabic Font by using FontCreator 13 exclusively here, also it included English glyphs, I Welcome feedback.
the font is under SIL Open Font License OFL licence... the attachment compressed file include (fcp., ttf., otf., woff1., woff2., OFL licence).
Thank you.
Gasq Font.jpg
Gasq Font.jpg (291.25 KiB) Viewed 10488 times
Attachments
Gasq Font.rar
(218.12 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
Last edited by Husham on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: My First Complete Font by using FontCreator 13

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Thank you for sharing. I moved your topic to the right forum, and reduced the size of your image to suit the forum.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Husham
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Husham »

Thanks Bhikkhu, I appreciate this.
ClintGoss

Post by ClintGoss »

Nice looking font!

I don't know Arabic, so I really can't comment on the layout features ... but I'm comparing it again Amiri and the Noto fonts.

Might you consider adding the license terms into the file itself (Font => Properties => Legal)? You mentioned "Freeware" but there is nothing in the font that confirms that. Many people today are using the Open Font License ... that might be in line with your intentions and has a number of added benefits ... http://scripts.sil.org/OFL.
Husham
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Husham »

Hello ClintGoss

Thnak you for your nice words about my first font, as for licence very valuable information, I am new in typography field, i don't have a lot of information about licences, this is a good information i learnt from, but i have question, are there any any difference between OFL Licence and GNU (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html), also i read about this license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by ... /legalcode)... i will attached an updated font file with OFL license soon..

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

There are differences between GPL and OFL which are not obvious at girst glance.

There is a clause in GPL which states that all things created with the GPL software must also be covered by GPL. So no commercial use. :shock:
There was some controversy about this in the open source community because it means that you couldn't use a free open source compiler to create commercial software. This is why the LGPL was created.
I would think that LGPL was a better fit for a font than GPL because with GPL if you write a book with a GPL font the book must be given away free whereas with LGPL you can create a book for sale.

OFL is specifically written with fonts in mind and is very similar to LGPL in that it allows you to write a book for money with a free font.

When choosing a license for a free font I would choose either OFL or LGPL and would not choose GPL which is actually more restrictive about the uses to which the font is put.

I hope this helps.
Husham
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Husham »

Great, Thank you PJMiller, it is important information, I understood now, i appreciate this.
Husham
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Husham »

I have attach a new font file with licence and with web font file.
Husham
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Husham »

Hi,
Please find attached an update release of my first Arabic font-Gasq-
Gasq.otf
(84.96 KiB) Downloaded 533 times
Thanks