Fonts in development

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

The next stage of development is now available on the web.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/PTEXT009.TTF

I produced it yesterday.

Here is a transcript of the notes which I made as I proceeded.

Thursday 22 June 2006

Use Pixel Text 009 in PTEXT009.TTF as the working font.

Add an F by adapting a copy of E.

Try a B by adapting two copies of P.

Try a W by adapting two copies of U.

Try a G by adapting a copy of O.

Try a Q by adapting a copy of O.

Try an exclamation mark by adapting copies of full stop and lowercase l.

Try a question mark by adapting copies of O and full stop.

Try an H by adapting a copy of E.

Try an fi ligature by adapting copies of f and i.

Try an fl ligature by adapting copies of fi and l.

Try an ff ligature by adapting two copies of f.

Try an fj ligature by adapting copies of fi and j.

Add Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady as the sample text of the font.

----

I was rather hoping that having added the sample text that the font would be displayed with that text rather than The quick brown fox etc yet that did not happen.

The help facility states as follows.

Sample Text

This can be the font name, or any other text that the designer thinks is the best sample to display the font in.

end quote

So, since I have seen fonts display text other than The quick brown fox etc I am wondering how that is done. Can anyone advise on this please?

Readers may perhaps notice that, apart from J, all of the capitals which remain to be produced use one or more straight lines which are neither horizontal nor vertical. I am hoping to produce them using the calculation method mentioned in an earlier post in this thread.

William
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Two later development versions of the Pixel Text font are now on the web.

The latest is PTEXT011.TTF and is available from the following link.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/PTEXT011.TTF

This version contains five alternate designs for a lowercase g, encoded at U+E421 to U+E425, decimal 58401 to 58405.

This has been influenced by reading about OpenType and thinking that I would add some artwork in case an OpenType version of the font is made at some time in the future.

A different design for n is being tried in this version.

I tested the font in WordPad at 24 point.

This is a test of various endings.
This is a test of various endins.
This is a test of various endins.
This is a test of various endins.
This is a test of various endins.
This is a test of various endins.

Copying and pasting the above text into WordPad and then formatting using the PTEXT011.TTF font should produce a display showing the various versions of g included in the font.

The font also contains a few other extra characters.

William
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

The PTEXT012.TTF Pixel Text 012 development version of the font is now available on the web.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/PTEXT012.TTF

The basic designs for the capitals alphabet are now complete, though some ornamentation pen strokes hopefully will be added later.

Thus with capitals and lowercase and some puntuation marks, though no quotation marks or hyphen, the font can be tested using many, though not all, English sentences.

Hopefully some readers will enjoy setting text using this font using both the ligatures and the alternate letters which the font contains. I have found that the WordPad program using text at a 24 point size is a good starting place for tests.

William
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Pixel Text 013 in the file PTEXT013.TTF was produced yet is no longer available on the web due to two errors. Please use PTEXT014.TTF instead.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/PTEXT014.TTF

The text of this post below this sentence has not been altered and refers to the Pixel Text 013 font, though those additions are retained in the Pixel Text 014 font.

The additions to this version include some alternative glyphs in U+E426 to U+E42A, decimal 58406 to 58410.

These are added ready for producing an OpenType version of the font and so that a question about the OpenType specification can be posed in the Specification forum.

Other additions include a hyphen, ffi and ffl ligatures, quotes and smart quotes.

William
Last edited by William on Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Pixel Text 014 in the file PTEXT014.TTF is now available on the web.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/PTEXT014.TTF

The Pixel Text 013 font in PTEXT013.TTF has been deleted from the web due to the errors that the inverted exclamation mark and the inverted question mark were horizontal mirror images of what they should have been.

As well as two corrected glyphs, Pixel Text 014 also includes a few more characters: an equals sign, a thorn, parentheses and square brackets.

William
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

The Pixel Text font has now been published as the Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady font and has its own thread in the Gallery.

viewtopic.php?t=1476

The font is available from the following link.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/SONNETRL.TTF

William