Style font

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Style font

Post by William »

The Style font is now published.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/fonts.htm

There is a document showing the font in use and showing most of the available characters.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/Stylefont.PDF

At publication the Style font has only a fairly basic selection of characters.

The font also includes the following glyphs.

An interrobang at U+203D decimal 8253.

A ct ligature at U+E707 decimal 59143.

An et ligature at U+E712 decimal 59154.

An st ligature at U+FB06 decimal 64262.

The ct ligature and the et ligature are both mapped into the Unicode Private Use Area.

William Overington

26 February 2005
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I have just (at 2.58 pm GMT) updated the version of the Style font on the web to version 0.11 and I have also updated the Stylefont.PDF document.

The new version adds the plus character.

The reason for this is that I tried setting the text of the style.txt document using the Style font just to observe how it looked and the only character not available was the plus character.

William
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I have recently, at 2.58 pm GMT, updated the Style font on the web to version 0.11 and also updated the Stylefont.PDF document.

The updated version of the font adds a plus character.

I was experimenting with setting a copy of the text of the style.txt document using the Style font and found that the plus was needed but not there, so I updated the font.

William
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I have just before 6.09 pm uploaded STYLE.TTF version 0.13 to the web.

This new version contains a lot of extra characters: the original published font, version 0.10 and the later version 0.11 were each about 10 kilobytes whereas the new version 0.13 is about 22 kilobytes.

The additions are accented characters, the font, a Unicode font, now supports various languages, including Esperanto and Welsh. This is in addition to Old English which was supported previously.

Readers may notice some additional characters in the Private Use Area. I have duplicated there those accented characters which are above U+00FF. This is because there is a drawing program, DrawPlus 7.09 from Serif http://www.serif.co.uk which, on the Windows 98 machine in use here, (though I am told that it will work on some later PCs), does not permit some characters, like the Esperanto C circumflex to be copied and pasted from Microsoft WordPad to a converted-to-curves drawing of the letters in DrawPlus 9.07 whereas it will allow Private Use Area characters to be so copied and pasted. So, I duplicated the glyphs so that I can get the images into a DrawPlus 9.07 drawing and then copy them into PagePlus 9.04, a desktop publishing package also from Serif. I thought about mapping the original glyph to the two code points, regular Unicode and Private Use Area, but thought it best to use two independent glyphs, just in case of problems, though with no reason to think that there either would or would not be any such problems.

I use the following method for the Private Use Area mappings.

U+0100 .. U+024F mapped to U+E100 .. U+E24F

U+1E00 .. U+1EFF mapped to U+E300 .. U+E3FF

There are twenty-four characters, Esperanto accented characters and Welsh accented characters, duplicated in the Private Use Area in this manner. Mapping them by this rule allows people to find them straightforwardly and also provides scope for where to place any other characters as I choose. In a test it appears that those from the U+1E00 .. U+1EFF range may perhaps copy and paste to DrawPlus 9.07 directly. I only tried it with one of them and that worked.

William
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Version 0.14 of the Style font is now available on the web.

In answering a question in the Support forum and using the Style font as an example, I noticed that the glyphs for double quotes and apostrophe were the wrong way round.

viewtopic.php?t=961

I have now corrected those errors and changed the version of STYLE.TTF which is available on the web.

William
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Version 0.15 of the Style font is now available on the web.

The changes for this version are mainly that this font now has the characters for Latvian.

viewtopic.php?t=1040

In addition, Y macron, y macron and long s are also included.

The font also has copies of some of the glyphs in the Private Use Area.

William
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Version 0.16 of the Style font is now available on the web.

This version corrects three errors.

The glyphs for the copies of C caron and c caron in the Private Use area were incorrect. They were copies of C circumflex and c circumflex. They are now correct.

The value of Typo Ascender in the metrics was set to 1024 when I intended it to be 2048. Checking back, it has been like that all of the way through since I started the font. It is now corrected, though I do not know whether that was a big problem or a small one.

William
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I have now updated the Style font to version 0.161 which differs from version 0.16 in that the flags for code pages Latin 2: Eastern Europe (1250) and Windows Baltic (1257) are set.

The flag for code page Latin 1 (1252) was set in version 0.16 and remains set in version 0.161.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/STYLE.TTF

This change was because of a problem which is documented in the following thread.

viewtopic.php?t=2374

William Overington

11 September 2008