Troubleshooting Move to New Laptop

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
MyChicCrafts

Troubleshooting Move to New Laptop

Post by MyChicCrafts »

My old laptop died. I have the HDD hooked up to a device so that I can see all the files. I opened the FmsConfig, but the Service Settings are blank. I have all my fonts tagged (close to 10k) and need to move the database over to my new laptop. I have tried to follow several of the instructions found here, but I'm doing something wrong. I was working in v10 and have installed v10 on my new laptop. Now what?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Troubleshooting Move to New Laptop

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If the settings are empty, stop the FontService from the Status tab, and select the folders
Font Service Settings.png
Font Service Settings.png (11.64 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MyChicCrafts

Post by MyChicCrafts »

I get the error "Failed to open registry key". I assume it's because I have the old HDD hooked directly into my new laptop.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Am I right in thinking that you have never installed MainType on your new laptop, but are running it from the old hard drive? I didn't think that was possible, but if it is it would explain the missing registry key.

In that case, install MainType on the Laptop and enter the registry key.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MyChicCrafts

Post by MyChicCrafts »

I have v10 installed on the new laptop and have stopped FmsConfig. I have to plug in the old harddrive into the new laptop to see the files. I have the FmsCongfig turned off and all 3 registries are still blank in the old files. No matter which folder I choose, I get "Failed to open registry keys"

I don't know how to add an image to show you.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

MyChicCrafts wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:38 pm I don't know how to add an image to show you.
Use the attachments tab to add images. Use Alt+Printscreen to capture a dialog or error message, and save it as PNG for the best results.
MyChicCrafts

Post by MyChicCrafts »

Old HDD Failed Registry.png
Old HDD Failed Registry.png (73.68 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
Old HDD Pulling from Database.png
Old HDD Pulling from Database.png (105.84 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
Old HDD.png
Old HDD.png (52.41 KiB) Viewed 3042 times