What Specifically is Backed Up?

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
rvfisher

What Specifically is Backed Up?

Post by rvfisher »

Would you mind helping me understand what MT backs up and restores. My understanding is that FmsConfig backs up the library/fonts/vault and database.

1. Does the database include font tags, ratings, and status (active, installed, etc.)?
2. Does the database include virtual group membership?

Thanks for any help.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: What Specifically is Backed Up?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Use Export Data to back up notes, ratings, and tags.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
rvfisher

Post by rvfisher »

Thank you.

So the database does NOT include font tags, ratings, status (active, installed, etc.), or virtual group memberships AND export data includes font tags and ratings, THEN I assume that font status and virtual group memberships can NOT be saved.

Is my assumption correct please?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Most of the information about a font such as font name, number of characters, version, foundry, but also tags and notes are stored in the database. However the backup is primarily meant to be on the same machine, not for sharing.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
rvfisher

Post by rvfisher »

Thank you. I'm less interested in sharing than in planning an intelligent font management strategy--resilient to future shocks (computer malfunctions, updates, upgrades, theft, user errors, etc.), thus preserving current efforts.

This is why I'm choosing MainType, I love your product--it appears to be the best thought out and cared for font manager available for Windows. The documentation is very good; however, I believe it could be improved; particularly in relation to helping a novice develop a long-term font management plan.

Now that I understand the database doesn't preserve tags, I know I should maintain tag exports. Understanding virtual groups can't be saved suggests that folders-in-sync may be a better long-term method for me. And now that it's clear the database doesn't preserve font status, I will likely maintain an installed or uninstalled tag.

I have taken down eight pages of notes on MT to help me nail down an implementation and operating plan, and there are a couple of other areas where things are fuzzy for me. As I work through these I may have other questions.

I really appreciate your help! Thanks so much!
vegtypography

Post by vegtypography »

re: "Most of the information about a font such as font name, number of characters, version, foundry, but also tags and notes are stored in the database. However the backup is primarily meant to be on the same machine, not for sharing."

So building on this thread, if I do backups they aren't going to preserve all my groups, notes, tags and ratings to be reinstalled on another PC?

It's only good to reinstall on the same machine? How to preserve this information to be transferred to another PC please? There's no master file to copy or clone to another machine?

If I upgrade and buy one of the paid versions and install it over my free version, am I going to lose everything anyways by changing versions?
Sorry to sound like such a noob but I have to ask. I've done a lot of work on my fonts collection and didn't realize a lot of what I'm backing up isn't going to matter if and when this PC dies.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You can Import/Export Tags, Ratings, and Notes from the Tools menu.

The xml files can be imported onto another PC.

The backup files can also be copied to another PC, and restored using the FMS Configuration utility.

The size of the vault backup can be greatly reduced (1Gbyte to about 300 Mbytes) using 7-Zip for sending to the cloud if required, or just copy the backup folder via USB sticks.

If you buy a licence, the limitations will be removed from your existing installation. You don't even need to reinstall it (assuming that you have the latest build = MainType 11.0.0.1268).
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
vegtypography

Post by vegtypography »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:05 pm You can Import/Export Tags, Ratings, and Notes from the Tools menu.

The xml files can be imported onto another PC.

The backup files can also be copied to another PC, and restored using the FMS Configuration utility.

The size of the vault backup can be greatly reduced (1Gbyte to about 300 Mbytes) using 7-Zip for sending to the cloud if required, or just copy the backup folder via USB sticks.

If you buy a licence, the limitations will be removed from your existing installation. You don't even need to reinstall it (assuming that you have the latest build = MainType 11.0.0.1268).
Thank you so much for your reply. I'm doing those kind of backups now to external hard drives. What limitations are you referring to that change with the licensed versions? And why would I not need to reinstall (install) the program on another PC? Sorry, I'm a little confused by what you mean there.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The limitations of the free version and standard version are show in the Comparison Chart.

You will not need to reinstall the software on the existing PC to make the backups.

You would obviously need to install it on another PC.