One Comment, One Issue, One Question

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Piyono

One Comment, One Issue, One Question

Post by Piyono »

<comment>
Hi, I just downloaded Main Type to try out. By far the nicest-*looking* font program I've ever encountered. At first glance it appears to be very well thought out and implemented. I'm going to play around with it and see what I find.
</comment>

<issue>
Clicking CTRL++, as per Windows convention, is supposed to adjust all the columns in the focused window to optimal width. Invoking this command in any of the the 'Fonts' window tabs in MainType shrinks all the columns save for the first one down to nothing. Try it and see.
</issue>

<question>
None of my bitmapped (*.FON) fonts appear in the Fonts window lists. How cometh?
</question>

Piyono
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hello Piyono,

Thanks for your feedback. I hope more people have the same positive first impression. Do let me know your overall impression when you've seen all features.

The issue you mention is indeed something I overlooked, I never knew about that shortcut. It will be fixed in the next upcoming release. I'm certainly going to use it (and CTRL+-, CTRL-* and CTRL-/) with other software as well :-)

The answer to your question is located in the Filter window. By default Raster, Vector and Type 1 PostScript fonts are not shown, but can be easily included through the Filter window.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
pentool

Post by pentool »

I have never heard of CTRL++ adjusting columns. And here I'm looking at Explorer, pressing CTRL++ and nothing happens with the columns. So what am I missing?

Have tried it with Outlook Express, Money, Excel. CTRL++ does not do anything for me.
=LES=
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Control + Plus on the Numeric Keypad optimises the columns in Windows Explorer for me. I also never noticed it before.

That's the trouble with shortcuts — very useful if you know them and use them frequently, but not always easy to discover. Try these two:

Windows Key + R
Windows Key + D
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
pentool

Post by pentool »

Ah! That's what I figured. I have a laptop so I don't have extended numeric keypad. Well, yeah it does if I press certain key combinations then it turns vertain keys to extended keyboard equaivalents, but it's so annoying I never bothered to use it.

Thanks for the update though!
=LES=
Piyono

Post by Piyono »

Erwin, what do you have in mind for CTRL+/, CTRL+* and CTRL+- ?

Bhikkhu, I use those key shortcuts all the time. :)

I'm *really* big on keyboard shortcuts.

]-[
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Actually I meant these shortcuts:
Ctrl + Subtract :arrow: restores the with of all column to the previous state. It works like a single undo feature. However doesn't always work the way I expect it to work though.
* :arrow: display (expand) all sub groups under the selected group in the Groups tree view.
/ :arrow: hide (collapse) all sub groups under the selected group in the Groups tree view.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Piyono

Navigation Ideas

Post by Piyono »

Erwin, while we're on the topic of keyboard shortcuts, I have a suggestion which will make selecting multiple fonts by keyboard rapid and accurate.

My proposed method uses the arrow keys in combination with the SPACE, CTRL and ALT keys. Here's how it goes:

Unmodified arrow keys work as expected, moving the row highlight up or down.

Holding CTRL while using the arrow keys moves the row *focus* (dotted outline) but *not* the highlight. To highlight (i.e. select) the focused row, press SPACE. To UN-highlight (deselect) it, press SPACE again. This effectively turns SPACE into a toggle to turn the selection of the focused file, as long as CTRL is held down.

To highlight multiple files, simply hold down CTRL and SPACE while navigating up or down with the arrow keys.
Highlighting a block of files and want to skip just one? Easy. Just lift your thumb off of the spacebar for one selection and then replace it.

To move the selection block relative to the files hold down the ALT key.

The key difference between this method and simply holding down SHIFT to select mulitple files is that the SHIFT method selects only blocks of contiguous files, where as the CTRL+SPACE method can easily select disjointed blocks.

You may well be blown away by the simplicity and elegance of this solution and want to heap praise upon me, but know that the idea is not fully my own: ACDSee has been using a similar method for quite some time, although it's not quite as flexible as what I've outlined because in their implementation holding down SPACE does not allow the selection to be extended with repeated presses of the arrow key, and they don't use the ALT modifier key to move the selection block.

Still I can select files faster in ACDSee than I can in practically any other program. The standard SHIFT-to-select-contiguous-files method can still be used with no conflicts, but we power users can go one level deeper.

Of course, it has to be programmed in.
:)

Whaddaya think?

Piyono
Piyono

Post by Piyono »

Oh, one more thing to borrow from ACDSee is the CTRL+hover feature, which previews whichever image (or font, in this case) is under the mouse pointer. Sort of like holding down just CTRL and hitting the arrow keys up or down to move the focus.

Just one more way to do things.

Piyono
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Piyono, your proposed method of selecting multiple fonts sounds interesting, but I'm afraid it would require a lot of programming. I rather spent my time on adding new features, other enhancements and new software. People are also looking forward to a new Font Creator update. So for now I've put it on the wish list.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
pentool

Post by pentool »

I have to agree. I'm not sure if many designers are piano players at the same time and use the keyboard shortcuts to such an extensive way. (Altought I did know a person who barely touched the mouse...) Personally I rather see new features added than more keyboard shortcuts, which probably not many people would use to such an extent.
=LES=
Piyono

Post by Piyono »

I guess that shows how much I know about programming.
<blushes>
I thought it was an extension of the standard windows API (I just realized that Windows explorer works *exactly* like ACDSee when it comes to selecting files).

Well, keep it down at the bottom of the 'to-do' list and maybe one day it'll surface on it's own.
:)

Piyono