fonts won't uninstall

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
dpaterno

fonts won't uninstall

Post by dpaterno »

howdy!
I love your program and have been using it now for about a year.
It works great on all accounts but I've been experiencing something peculiar lately.
I've had about 6 fonts - TT & Ps - that were installed for a particular project. the project has since finished and I've uninstalled the fonts but they keep reappearing every time I open Main Type OR my Programs.
I've even deleted the shortcuts in the Fonts folder and they keep re-installing. Is there any cache or registry I can Clean to prevent them from re-installing.
thanks
Dan
P.S. the fonts in question are all from www.fontcraft.com/
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hello Dan,

I know Windows XP does restore several crucial system fonts, but I've never noticed it did restore other fonts as well. What location are to fonts stored and how do you uninstall them?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
dpaterno

Post by dpaterno »

hi
All the fonts reside on my local drive
In Main Font in the "install box" of the options dialog, none of the "copy fonts"are selected
AND n the advanced section of the options dialog
I have ALL the smart options selected.
So it-seems that Main type is only copying shortcuts to the windows font folder.
I uninstall them by right-clicking its name in the active fonts window and selecting "uninstall"
I've also just noticed that the fonts in question are all Ps.
thanks in advance
Dan
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Can you send a copy of one of the fonts directly to me? I'll see if I can identify your problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
dpaterno

Post by dpaterno »

All of a sudden it seems the fonts in question are able to be uninstalled. I'll send the fonts your way if I have the same problem.
Thank you
Dan
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Good to know it does work after all, still strange that it didn't work immediately. Maybe you did unload them instead of uninstall?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
dpaterno

Re: fonts won't uninstall

Post by dpaterno »

hi.. I had some fonts that were installed by Bitstream font navigator through corel draw. It's handy as it installs fonts for projects automatically when an older Draw project is open.

The problem is that the fonts have the red dot by them and I can't "LOAD" them, install them, or UNLOAD them.

I uninstalled main type and all it's databases and chache files, reinstalled main type and the same problem exists.

The fonts in question are type1 fonts and I have open type equivalents which I'd like to install so the whole family is the same format.

I even wanted to delete the PS fonts from the fonts folder, but I didn't see them there.

this is driving my font OCD crazy!

any suggestions?
thanks in advance
Dan
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

MainType knows those fonts are loaded, but that's all information it could find, so it can't do a thing with them.

I suggest uninstalling Font Navigator and reboot your pc.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
majiik11

Post by majiik11 »

I have the same problem with the RED State button, I have about 20 fonts that won't load, install or uninstall, can't remove or delete them, I've even started with a fresh install of maintype and DID NOT restore the cache/vault, only used export function to move groups separately to an external drive, not the entire library, and only the groups I wanted to keep, then did a new add of font folders, this after pretty much redoing all of my font files. I even tried to go to windows font folder and remove these fonts from there. No luck. Any clue as to what the red dot is and how do I get rid of fonts that are neither loaded, nor installed, nor uninstalled, just there, with that glowing little red dot.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If all else fails, I usually uninstall MainType, delete the font vaults, and reinstall it. However, if you have a lot of font libraries to rebuild that might not be a desirable option.

In my case it doesn't take long for a few thousand fonts and with my fonts well organised into folders from which I can automatically recreate my groups.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486