No font filename?

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
lorie

No font filename?

Post by lorie »

I just downloaded MainType to try it out; it seems to be just what I have been looking for. However, I have found a curious situation: there are several fonts which show up on the Active tab as having no file name. If I look in the Windows Font folder, there IS a filename. MainType will not allow me to uninstall or unload them as it says the font name is unrecognizable (the field is empty...). What causes this and how can it be corrected? Several of these are System fonts, which I wouldn't remove anyway, but at least two of them are fonts which I added so I should be able to remove...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi lorie,

Good question.

Even on a clean install of Windows you'll have some raster fonts (e.g. Fixedsys, System Bold and Terminal) that are loaded instead of installed. So don't worry about them.

The other fonts you mention are either loaded or not properly installed. If they were installed successfully (or loaded through MainType), you should have seen the filenames in MainType.

To remove them, select View -> Browse -> Fonts Folder. Now you'll be able to see all fonts in the Windows fonts folder. Select the two fonts you added yourself and press the Uninstall button. They should then be removed from the Active fonts tab. You can now safely delete them, or reinstall them, whatever suits your needs. Do let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
lorie

Post by lorie »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I removed two of the offending fonts just as you suggested. The one that is left is the one that baffles me. It is listed as a TrueType font not raster. MainType says it is "loaded" But I cannot unload or uninstall it because it has no filename. And it does not show up in the Windows Fonts folder. I have done a search on my computer to try to find where it is hiding but nothing shows up.

Very confusing...

It is obviously a rogue; the name is FranklinGotTDemCon. Apparently I downloaded it and stashed it somewhere but for the life of me I can't find it!

Any other ideas?

Thanks again! I am loving this program!

Lorie
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi Lorie,

I'm glad to hear you love MainType!

Loaded fonts are no longer available after the system is rebooted, so I suggest you restart Windows. If the font reappears, it must be loaded by another application. Do let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
lorie

Post by lorie »

I have restarted, rebooted, turned the thing off and gone to do errands, pretty much everything I could think of. I have searched all of my drives, and even the network drives. I do not know what is loading this demon font!

More suggestions???

Thanks,

Lorie
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm not sure if this helps, but you can save the font with MainType. This is one of many unique features of MainType. After you have saved the font file, you can see the size of the file, then use that info to find font files (both *.ttf and *.otf) with that size on your PC. I'm curious about your results. Good luck.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
lorie

Post by lorie »

It does not show up anywhere. If I save it with a name I assign it, when I navigate to that folder in the Browse pane, MainType tells me that "a similar font is loaded". It will allow me to install my renamed font; and the mystery font is no longer present in the list. However, if I try to delete it, MainType tells me it cannot delete the font. It does delete it but the mystery font returns and is again listed as "loaded".

I give up! I officially named the thing FranklinDemon.ttf (the Demon could stand for demonstration but that is not what I'm thinking). I'll just leave it "installed" and forget about it.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and help. I believe I will be purchasing this program because on top of a good application, friendly and prompt help is available. That is a big plus when you shell out $$$ for unfamiliar software. Again, thanks!

Lorie
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You could try to find a similar file through Windows explorer, I suspect it is located in either C:\Program Files or C:\Documents and Settings.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Folder Location

Post by Dave Crosby »

Hi Lorie,

When you open MainType and your active fonts are read in, if you scroll the window to the right, the File Folder Column should come into view.

Does this help in locating the file?
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Unfortunately, MainType can't locate the source (file name and file location) from fonts that are loaded through another application. This is due to the fact Windows has no interface (API) for such a request.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

OK

Post by Dave Crosby »

That is good to know.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
marcsr3001

Re: No font filename / blank font name

Post by marcsr3001 »

I found, quite by accident, that if I right click on the blank space for the font name, then choose "Open Containing Folder", the missing font name suddenly populates in the MainType list of fonts. I have no idea why this works but I had four "nameless" fonts and it worked for all of them. Hope this works for you too.