Reloading an unload font

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
rmerkle

Reloading an unload font

Post by rmerkle »

Ok I'm dumb....

Here is what I did... I made a group of "system" fonts (the ones in the end of the manual -- even the "optional" "should have" fonts). Thought I was being clever to ensure those fonts would be easy to identify. Anyway.... I then in the main window selected "all" and "unloaded" the fonts... (ok I expected some odd stuff but hey I was playing)...

Now when I go to the Group of system fonts and try to "load" and unload font (for example "Arial") I get the message "A similar font is already installed but not loaded".... Well right... that is why I want to "load" it....

Am I missing something here?

I know all I have to do to get everything back (I hope) is reboot since I only "unload" and did not "uninstall"...

Thanks for reading my ramblings....

Bob
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Several sophisticated word processors and design software as well as some other font related utilities heavily depend on the font data stored in the registry. When you unload an installed font and then load it from another font file, those applications can get confused and results are unpredictable. That is one of the main reasons why you are not allowed to do this.

The only solution, is to uninstall the font before loading or installing it from another location. You can do this manually or automatic by enabling the Advanced font settings (Smart install fonts etc.). To enable those settings, select Options from the Tools menu and then click the Fonts tab.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
rmerkle

Post by rmerkle »

Erwin,

Thanks for the response.... Ok that made sense and I was "cautious" not to uninstall fonts (until I better understood what the program was actually doing)....

After playing for a bit I'm convinced this is the software that I need to manage my fonts.

Do you have any suggestions on how you or others have "organized" fonts with your software before (I'm sure there are a hundred different choices -- just trying to get a handle on what others have done).

Also, another positive note... without your software I probably would have not realized that I had over 750 fonts installed. Just by removing a large chunk that are rarely used my system performance on one particular program dramatically improved!!!!

Thanks Again,

Bob
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi Bob,

I'm glad I could help. What "particular program" are you referring to?
Bob wrote:Do you have any suggestions on how you or others have "organized" fonts with your software before (I'm sure there are a hundred different choices -- just trying to get a handle on what others have done).
I'm positive there are several people who would love to share their ideas about this.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
rmerkle

Post by rmerkle »

Erwin,

The "program" is actually a website which used heavy Java programming (it is like a virtual call center)... anyway they initiate screen pops via their code (it forces an IE page to open to access the event and information they are sending me). Once I removed a large chunk of fonts the screens appear to "pop" faster. Not sure of the connection but I went back and forth installing and uninstalling the fonts to verify my impressions and it truly increased the speed by simply removing fonts.

(I'm kind of surprise that this would make a large difference since my system isn't "overloaded" and is moderately fast with plenty of memory)..

Anyway it is a measurable difference...

Bob
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Post by Dave Crosby »

rmerkle wrote:After playing for a bit I'm convinced this is the software that I need to manage my fonts.

Do you have any suggestions on how you or others have "organized" fonts with your software before (I'm sure there are a hundred different choices -- just trying to get a handle on what others have done). ... Bob
I added an 80 gig hard drive for my 1Fonts file (1 to keep it at the top of the list) and filled it with sub folders Aa, Ab, Ac, etc. and used the file name. Dupe names are a big bad problem! You have to check carefully before adding a new font.

For special projects I use Groups (Proj-1, -2 etc) so I can load the whole pile in one fell swoop, and they are all gone when I turn my 'puter off.
viewtopic.php?t=1190 Hello MainType!

For the most part I just use my Panose group folder (with subfolders for each Panose group) to find the font I want for a project.
viewtopic.php?t=941 Panose Your Fonts

I do have a few theme groups- Christmas, Ancient-Lang, etc.

Dick Pape is our resident expert in this field. You may find this thread interesting:
viewtopic.php?t=1539 Pre-defined variables.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
rmerkle

Post by rmerkle »

Dave,

Thank you for the information and the links... I'll spend some time reading up... Sounds as if you have a bit larger font collection then my under 1000 fonts....

I guess part of my setting up a organized structure is getting used to the program.

But again thank you for this information and direction.

Take care,

Bob