Office 2000 problems after uninstalling fonts

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
tepeco

Office 2000 problems after uninstalling fonts

Post by tepeco »

I an using the Main Type evaluation program, I have Vista home premium as an OS.

I uninstalled many fonts that I never use and in doing so, noticed that there are fonts that Main Type will not uninstall, primarily, fonts that are necessary for Windows to use. That's good protection, however after uninstalling my fonts, I am having big problems with all of my MS Office 2000 programs. Every time I start to use Excel or Word, I'm prompted that there is an error loading a font. I'm forced to cancel out of the dialog box twice, then the programs open like nothing ever happened. I have always assumed that Office uses only the fonts that come installed in Windows. In light of this, has Main Type allowed me to uninstall some of the system fonts and not others? Or should it have kept me from uninstalling all Windows fonts?

-tepeco
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

woe woe woe

Post by Dick Pape »

Oh, Erwin, protect me from myself...

After you have impaled yourself try to withdraw the sword slowly so as not to shed too much blood and guts.

Sorry, but you should never ever delete system fonts because you and everyone else has little idea how they're needed/used. They don't take that much space so should be left alone.

Try to restore your system to before the delete.

I don't believe I want any software, even Font Creator, to stop me from doing something if I want to do it. The consequences are mine of course.

Good luck.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Dick, you must be one of those guys who uses an open razor. :wink: I manage to cut myself with a safety razor.

I would like MainType to stop me from deleting system fonts, as I sometimes do things by accident or in haste. Font Frenzy claims to do it, but only for Windows XP.

I have asked Erwin to add this feature, but it seems to be more difficult than it might seem at first sight. MainType supports several different versions of Windows — Windows Vista, XP, 2003, 2000, NT, Me, 98 or 95. Then there may be some system fonts that you can remove and others that you really shouldn't. I assume that MainType will currently only stop you from removing fonts that are currently in use.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Yehuda
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Yehuda »

It is not clear from the original post that it was system fonts that were deleted, as opposed to fonts required by the specific apps that wouldn't run. Many apps come with fonts that they require to run. There is no way for a program like MainType to keep track of all of these.
Yehuda N. Falk
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Jerusalem, Israel

"And because, in all the galaxy, they had found nothing more precious than Mind, they encouraged its dawning everywhere."
--Arthur C. Clarke, 2001: A Space Odyssey
tepeco

Post by tepeco »

Yes, I did intend to mention that I tried to leave system fonts alone. I thought that all deleted fonts were fonts installed by other programs. For instance, Coreldraw installs sets of fonts, many of which I do not want. My Epson printer's software does the same thing. I noticed that Photoshop CS2 installs some as well and I notice that many fonts available are doubles and lookalikes that just don't need to be there.

Dick, I understand what you are saying but this is one area that I do appreciate a program holding me back from my own destructive nature.

-tepeco
Yehuda
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Yehuda »

But the problem is that some programs won't be able to run properly without their special fonts. I have three programs on my system that I use frequently which have specialized fonts that are required for the program to behave properly: WordPerfect, Math Type, and DavkaWriter. I think OpenOffice also has a special symbol font. Etc etc etc. There is no way for MainType to know what fonts are required by every program on someone's system.
Yehuda N. Falk
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Jerusalem, Israel

"And because, in all the galaxy, they had found nothing more precious than Mind, they encouraged its dawning everywhere."
--Arthur C. Clarke, 2001: A Space Odyssey
tepeco

Post by tepeco »

You are right Yehuda, however it light of that fact, wouldn't it be nice if Main Type could keep track of recent fonts removed and somehow allow you to restore those that you last removed? I know you can easily do this with the Windows OS.

I was very aware of each font I uninstalled, yet I managed to eliminate major fonts from Office 2000 anyway. This is certainly not the fault of Main Type, but a common mistake that many will make and one that Main Type might be able to make less painful.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Uninstalled fonts are backed up to the uninstalled fonts directory, the location of which can be found on Tools, Options, General. Use the browse tab to locate the folder in MainType to restore the fonts.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486