Installing fonts

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
djames_wol

Installing fonts

Post by djames_wol »

In MainType 2.1, when a font is uninstalled, it is automatically moved to the uninstalled fonts folder. I would have assumed that its original location would be tracked - and that if were reinstalled it would be placed back in the original folder - but that does not happen. It doesn't make sense to me that it would remain in the uninstalled fonts folder - and therefore doesn't show up in the fonts list, even after a refresh.

Am I missing something? Is there a reason for this? Is there an option for setting it to move it back? If not, this seems like a necessary feature.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

As far as I know, when a font is installed, it remains in its source folder, so there is no need for an option to move it back after uninstalling.

When you uninstall a font, a backup is kept in the uninstalled fonts folder. That can be useful if you have deleted the font from its source folder after installing it to C:\Windows\Fonts\
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

From the user manual, section Install, Load, Uninstall and Unload:
When you uninstall an installed or loaded font, it will be removed from both the system font table and the registry. As a result the font is no longer available, in case the font is used in an application, it will most likely show a substitute font. When you uninstall a font that is located in Windows fonts folder the file(s) will be copied to the Backup folder (View -> Browse -> Backup Folder) and then the original file(s) are removed from Windows fonts folder. If "Warn when uninstalling fonts" is checked in the Warnings tab of the Options dialog, a warning dialogue will be shown. You can turn off this warning if you wish.

When you unload an installed or loaded font, it will be removed from the system font table. If the font was previously installed, its registry entry is not touched, so the font will become available again after a reboot.

Fonts installed from a removable storage medium are copied to Windows fonts folder, to ensure they are always available to your system.
A setting located on the Options dialog controls whether fonts located on your hard drive are copied to Windows fonts folder. See Options - Fonts.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology